BlackBerry 10.2 features: What’s new?
What's new inside BlackBerry 10.2 and when will it be coming to your BlackBerry 10 handset?
BlackBerry 10.2 will be coming to all BlackBerry 10-powered devices later this month. So if you’ve got a BlackBerry Z10, Q10 or Q5 you will soon be benefiting from the latest version of BlackBerry’s mobile platform.
BlackBerry announced the BlackBerry Z30 today, the biggest and most powerful BlackBerry handset ever created. It is also the first device to run BlackBerry 10.2 out the box. The Z30 features a 5-inch Super AMOLED display, a 2880mAh battery cell, and a 1.7GHz Snapdragon processor.
“The new BlackBerry Z30 smartphone builds on the solid foundation and engaging user experience of the BlackBerry 10 platform with features like the powerful BlackBerry Hub, its exceptional touchscreen keyboard and industry leading browser,” said Carlo Chiarello, executive vice president of products at BlackBerry.
BlackBerry 10.2 is a sizable update that adds in plenty of new features, although the most significant is likely to be the added support for Android Jelly Bean applications. BlackBerry 10 allows you to side-load Android apps, but previously only supported Gingerbread.
Below is everything else you can expect to see inside BlackBerry 10.2 courtesy of the lovely guys over at BBNews. KYM will be adding to this list once we've secured some hands-on time with the new software. Until then, here's what we know so far:
- Clearly improved system performance, application support (including Android Player) and animation
- New "Priority" with the ability to establishing automatic priority rules (For example, based on senders name…)
- Differentiation between priority messages in the hub (red bar on the right)
- Shortcut to a list of all attachments
- New visual notification on the lock screen (just click on the notification icon to expand)
- The new "fast" actionable notification at the top of the screen (in any application) with the ability to respond and take action without running dedicated applications (mostly)
- A separate notification for each group of BBM
- A new quick settings menu with additional buttons and change of appearance
- Dedicated access icon for BlackBerry Hub
- New default wallpaper
- Task Manager, which allows such check which applications are taxing your system and battery
- Weather app with a fresh look
- Native application Evernote
- New indicator for data
- Remember gets extensive improvements including a search option
- Changing some elements of the Music app’s UI
- Ability to select and / or change the default applications that run on certain activities / references
- Displays the total number of contacts
- You can send a predefined SMS when you reject a call
- Simplification of many interface elements, improved buttons and sliders
- This finally is a native app. No more slow adobe AIR
- Change the look of some of the UI elements
- A new screen with a preview of the file sharing
- Ability to edit photos directly from this screen before sending
- The different sounds of clicks for keys other than letters / numbers
- Vibration alerts can be activated by the introduction of an automatic change / amendment of the word
- More than one alarm – for the first time in BlackBerry OS, you can set more than one alarm at a time. Access to this feature can be accessed directly by an icon on the screen watch, which is located in the upper right corner.
- New shortcut to the location settings geolocation photos
- Preview transmitted images
- The camera can now turn on a grid
- After shooting, just drag its thumbnail in the top and then on one of the display in such case the – delete or share
- WiFi Direct
- New categories of tags NFC Smart Tags
- Ability basic photo editing and to set as wallpaper
- Additional features for advanced voice dialing
- New loading bar browser
- Longer holding the "Back" button in your browser calls the abbreviated browsing history
- Reversible color reader mode (white text on a black background)
- The smaller top bar
- New recordings instructional
- More instructions on the screen when you first start and configuration
- New information after a screenshot – the amount of free memory
- The new interface operations copy / paste