How To Fix A Frozen iPad
This guide shows you how to fix a frozen and unresponsive iPad by using the restart, reset and restore options to force it back into life
All technology is prone to a couple of problems, sometimes even your top of the range Apple iPad can go on the fritz. A common problem can be that your iPad will start to freeze on some menus, some call this a crash, when your iPad won’t respond to the home button, sleep button or by touching the screen.
Not all is lost though, there a couple of simple solutions for you try before you have to restore the entire iPad. If those simple steps don’t help you out, it may be time to jump in and restore the entire thing.
Follow the steps below so we can get that iPad back up and running.
Your first two solutions are:
- Restart the iPad: press and hold down the sleep/wake on the front of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the Sleep/wake button on the top until the Apple logo appears
- Reset the iPad: if restarting the iPad didn't work then you will need to reset the iPad. You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for 10 seconds. The iPad should then reset itself
Restore the iPad
If neither of these two options fixes your unresponsive iPad then you will need to restore the iPad to its factory settings.
- First make sure you have a USB 2.0 connection cable and the latest version of iTunes installed
- Connect the iPad to your Mac or PC and launch iTunes
- In the Devices section click on the iPad icon then the Summary tab and then click on the Restore button
- When prompted, click on Back Up to back up all your iPad's media and settings
- Then click on the Restore button
- This will restore your iPad to its factory settings and install the latest version of the iPad operating software. Once this is completed, the iPad will restart
- You can now restore all your iPad's media and settings from the most recent back up then click Continue. Your iPad should now be up and running again...