Guide: How to reset the phone to factory settings
We take you through the steps necessary to perform a factory reset to wipe your phone
How to reset the phone to factory settings
Factory Data Reset is used to remove everything which is imported, added or installed on the phone.
Remember that when using this feature everything is deleted.
However, nothing stored on the MicroSD or the internal phone storage will be affected unless you choose to erase it as well.
From the homescreen press the 'Menu' button.
Scroll down and tap 'Privacy'.
Press 'Factory Data Reset'.
Check the 'Erase Internal Storage' option if you want to erase all the data on the phone's internal storage such as applications, music, movies or photos.
Press 'Reset Phone'.
How to perform a factory reset using external keys
It’s only advisable to use this method if for some reason you can’t use the above steps, such as if, for example, your phone seizes up.
1. Power up the phone by pressing the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons together at the same time while also pressing the Power button.
2. The device will enumerate with different boot options
3. Use the Volume Down button to scroll and the Volume Up button to select.
4. Select 'Recovery'
5. The phone will start up with the Motorola logo and power up to a little Android man logo with an exclamation mark.
6. Press the Volume Up button and Volume Down button together at this screen.
7. The device will display blue text on a black background.
8. Use the Volume Down button to scroll down and the Power button to select.
9. Select 'Wipe Data'/'Factory Reset' and press the Power key to confirm the selection.
10. Use the Volume Down button again to select 'Yes' - delete all user data - and press the Volume Down button again to confirm
11. The device will then start performing the Factory Data Reset
12. Once the formatting is complete , press the Power button to confirm a reboot
13. The message 'Rebooting' will be displayed
14. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence