The iPhone 13 launched in September 2021, alongside the iPhone 13 Mini, iPhone 13 Pro, and iPhone 13 Pro Max. But does it come with a charger?
Apple’s iPhone 13 range launched in late-2021, today (September 14), in fact, if you’re reading this the day this post was published. As updates go, the iPhone 13 was a pretty solid one, adding in faster CPUs, improved camera modules, faster 5G, and better battery life.
But if you were hoping to get a charger with your shiny new iPhone 13, regardless of what model you pick up, you’ll be grossly disappointed. Apple DOES NOT ship chargers with the iPhone 13, just a Lightning To USB Type C cable.
And that’s literally it; you don’t get any earbuds or even a wall charging port. Apple started this back with the iPhone 12, so if you bought or followed that phone’s release, you’ll already know all about this change to how Apple packages its phones.
Why Doesn’t Apple Include A Charger With The iPhone 13?
Apple says it is to do with the environment. Apple says enough people have chargers these days, so it doesn’t make sense for it to keep producing millions of them every year. And in this respect, Apple does have a point.
But what if you’ve never owned an iPhone before? You obviously need a charger, right? Don’t worry, Apple’s got you covered: you can buy an iPhone 13 charger directly from Apple.
And it’ll only charge you $19 for the privilege.
Or, if you have ANY sense whatsoever you’ll use this one from Amazon Basics instead; it is cheaper, works just the same, and will last just as long. That’s what I’d do anyway. No point in giving Apple any more of your money after it had the best part of $1000/£1000 out of you for a phone.
Also, be sure to check out ALL the color options for the iPhone 13 range.
|MODEL||DISPLAY SIZE||DISPLAY TYPE||DIMENSIONS|
|iPhone 13 Pro Max||6.7in||OLED||160.8 x 78.1 x 7.4 mm|
|iPhone 13 Pro||6.1in||OLED||146.7 x 71.5 x 7.4 mm|
|iPhone 13||6.1in||OLED||146.7 x 71.5 x 7.4 mm|
|iPhone 13 Mini||5.4in||OLED||131.5 x 64.2 x 7.4 mm|
iPhone 13 Updates List
- iPhone 13 gets trickle-down updates from iPhone 12 Pro; it now runs the same 12-megapixel lens with an f/1.6 aperture as 2020’s iPhone 12 Pro. The iPhone 13’s new ultrawide camera also has a faster f/2.4 lens and 120-degree field of view, as well as sensor-shift stabilization technology.
- All iPhone 13 models feature Cinematic Mode; this technology will automatically transition focus in real-time which will make all the phones in the range better for shooting video. Apple used a parody of Knives Out to demonstrate how Cinematic Mode works.
- The iPhone 13 range features a smaller notch. The notch on the iPhone 13 is 20% smaller than it was before.
- iPhone 13 has better 5G performance than the iPhone 12. The iPhone 13’s connection to 5G networks is faster, according to Apple, and it will support more than 200 carriers in over 60 countries by the end of 2021.
- The iPhone 13 features Apple’s new A15 CPU. Apple says the new A15 chipset, while still a 5nm SoC, is 50% faster than its nearest competitor (the Snapdragon 888), although these claims have not been tested yet.
- The A15 chipset features two new high-performance cores and four new high-efficiency cores.
iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone Pro Max Updates List
- All of Apple’s iPhone 13 Pro models feature new 120Hz Super Retina XDR screens with improved brightness (up to 1000nits).
- The iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max are available in the following colors: graphite, gold, silver, and a new light blue.
- All three cameras have been updated inside the iPhone 13 Pro lineup; you have better low light performance, thanks to larger sensors, a wider aperture for the ultra-wide lens, and 3x zoom for the telephoto lens. Night Mode is now supported on all three lenses too.
- The 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max now feature a new macro lens that’ll let you shoot objects from just 2cm away. All of Apple’s Pro models now feature sensor-shift optical image stabilization.
- The Pro models also get Cinematic mode but will also benefit from Apple’s new ProRes technology. You can film in 4K up to 30fps with the iPhone 13 Pro models and, with ProRes, a higher quality video format, you can then edit in more detail after footage has been filmed.
- All iPhone 13 Pro models get an extra tier of storage, 1TB – this is likely down to its use of ProRes.
- Apple has improved the iPhone 13 Pro and 13 Pro’s battery life; the iPhone 13 Pro will last 1.5 hours longer than the iPhone 12 Pro, and the iPhone 13 Pro Max will last 2.5 hours longer than the iPhone 12 Pro Max.
|NETWORK||COST PER MONTH||UPFRONT FEE|
|THREE||£31pm w/ Unlimited Data||£29|
|EE||£42pm w/ 40GB Data||£30|
|VODAFONE||£31.50pm w/ Unlimited Data||£29|
|O2||£48pm w/ 150GB Data||£30|
And check out Which iPhone 13 Should I Get?
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Does The iPhone 12 Come With A Charger?
Apple made some big changes with the iPhone 12, and one of the most controversial was its decision to stop including chargers in the iPhone 12’s box. As of 2020, none of the iPhones Apple sells will come with a charger or earbuds in the box.
Q: Does The iPhone 11 Come With A Charger?
When Apple launched the iPhone 11, it shipped with a charger in the box. The iPhone 11 is still available to buy via Apple, but like the iPhone 12 and the iPhone 13, it no longer comes with a charger or earbuds in the box.
Q: Does The iPhone SE Come With A Charger?
Despite the launch of the iPhone 13, Apple is keeping the iPhone SE 2020 around for another year. But unlike when the iPhone SE 2020 first launched, Apple no longer includes a charger in its box. Apple does not ship chargers or earbuds with any of the phones it now sells.
Q: Does The iPhone XR Come With A Charger?
The iPhone XR first launched in 2018 and was immensely popular, thanks to its lower price tag and color options. But as of 2020, Apple stopped shipping the iPhone XR with earbuds and a charger. If you buy an iPhone XR from Apple now, it does not come with a charger or earbuds.
Richard Goodwin has been working as a tech journalist for over 10 years. He is the editor and owner of KnowYourMobile.