Setting up and using email on the Samsung Tocco Lite S5230
Send and receive email from your regular email accounts at the touch of a finger with the Samsung Tocco Lite S5230 - we show you how
The Samsung Tocco LIte offers an affordable taster of touchscreen technology, incorporating Samsung's TouchWiz touch-operated user interface and a bunch of snazzy features, including mobile widgets.
As well as using smooth tap and swipe touch control to operate the phones features, Samsung has included in its range of messaging options full email functionality.
You can send, receive and forward emails from your normal email accounts with just a few finger taps. You can also view standard files - such as Word documents, PDFs and Excel files - sent as attachments, and send attachments yourself.
The Samsung Tocco Lite's email set up is easy to follow, with a wizard to help you through the set up procedure. The phone can be set up for regular web-based or internet service provider POP3 or IMAP4 email accounts. Multiple email accounts can be set up and used on the phone.
Once you've set up your email account(s), you can adjust settings to manage your email, such as for frequency of downloading mail, adding signatures and so on – similar to how you would with desktop-based email.
Initially, when setting up the account, you will need standard details, such as your email account address, username and password. You will also need a couple of additional details to get your account up and running: your POP3 or IMAP4 incoming server address, and SMTP outgoing server address. If you don't have these to hand, you should be able to find them via your email provider's website and mobile network.
Alternatively, you can find details for popular services on Know Your Mobile by clicking on the links below.
Users who wish to use their corporate email server may have to get POP3 details from their IT department.
Details you'll need â¨to know
You will need some information from your email provider in order to begin the set up process:
• Email address - Your full email address
• Password - Your usual email password
• Incoming (POP3) server - If it's not in our table of server settings, your email provider will be able to supply this, and you'll usually find POP3 details on their website
• Outgoing (SMTP) server - This will depend on which mobile phone network you use. See our table of server settings for details.
(Note: your email provider's POP3 settings will also contain details of the Outgoing (SMTP) server. You don’t need this to receive email on your phone.)
Setting up email
- From the home screen, press Menu (Figure 1).
- In the main menu, press Messages (Figure 2).
- In the Messages menu, press Email inbox (Figure 3).
- The first time you access this, email set-up wizard automatically starts up (Figure 4). Press OK.
- The Samsung Tocco Lite may be pre-loaded with email account details for mobile network operators (Figure 5). If you want to use one of these accounts you already have set up, you can press the appropriate option. However, if you want to set up your own web-based or ISP email account, press Other email accounts.
- You must give your account a name (Figure 6). Press the panel in the Account name screen.
- The virtual numberpad appears onscreen (Figure 7). Type in the account name you wish to use. Press Done.
- The name appears in the Account name panel (Figure 8). Press Next.
- Press the Enter email address panel (Figure 9). As before, the virtual numberpad appears onscreen. Type in your full email address and press Done.
- Press the Enter password panel (Figure 10). When the numberpad appears, type in your password. Press Done.
- When the email address and password panels have been completed, press Next (Figure 11).
- You must now input email server information (Figure 12). See Details you'll need to know, above, for instructions on how to find these; they may be listed here .
- Press the Incoming server panel. Using the numberpad, type in the server details for your email account. Press Done.
- Drag your finger up the screen to show the Outgoing server (SMTP) panel (Figure 13). Press this. Using the numberpad, type in the server details for your mobile network. Press Done.
- When the incoming server and outgoing server panels have been completed, press Next (Figure 14).
- A message appears confirming that your email account has been successfully configured (Figure 15). Press OK.
Downloading and viewing emails
- To download details of emails from your account, press your email account folder (Figure 16). The download procedure may take a while if there are lots of messages.
- When downloading is completed, a message appears (Figure 17). Press OK.
- Press your email folder (Figure 18) to open it up.
- A list of message subject headers with sender detalls appears (Figure 19).
- To view more email detals, press the one you want to see. More information appears onscreen (Figure 20). Press Retrieve to download and view the full email. It may take a few moments to download.
- Scroll down to view the full email text (Figure 21). Tap on any attachments to view them. The onboard document viewer software will automatically open them. Attachments can be saved to the phone or memory card.
- To reply, press the Reply to button. Press the option you require from the menu (Figure 22).
- Press the text area of the message to write your message using the numberpad. When completed, press Done. When you're ready to send it, press Send (Figure 23).
For further sending options, when viewing an email (Figure 21), press the More button. A menu of options appears (Figure 24).
Creating and sending an email
It's simple to create a new email.
- From the standby screen, press Menu (Figure 1).
- In the main menu, press Messages (Figure 2).
- In the Messages menu, press Create message (Figure 25).
- Press the Email option (Figure 26).
- You can now compose your email. Tap the appropriate parts of the display to select the email address, subject, and message panels (Figure 27).
- Pressing the address panel brings up options for adding contacts, including recent contacts and phonebook contacts (Figure 28).
- Once you have composed your email (Figure 29), press the Send button.