It’s time for the iPhone 11 Pro vs iPhone XR comparison! Apple’s iPhone 11 Pro series were the flagship phones the company unveiled in 2019. There are two models of the Pro series–the iPhone 11 Pro and the iPhone 11 Pro Max. As the name suggests, the iPhone 11 Pro is the “smaller” of the two–the iPhone 11 Pro Max is a massive beast.
While the “Max” iPhone is the biggest, for many people it’s too big. That’s why the iPhone 11 Pro is generally the more popular of the two phones. Given that the iPhone 11 Pro is also more similar in size to the iPhone XR, a lot of people wonder how the two compare.
Speaking of the iPhone XR…Apple is also keeping the older iPhone XR on sale for another year–and giving it a price drop. So just how does the two-year-old iPhone XR compare to the 2019 iPhone 11 Pro? Let’s take a closer look at the smaller of the phones below.
iPhone 11 Pro vs iPhone XR Quick Comparison
Both the iPhone XR and the iPhone 11 Pro have a similar design language. That is, they both have rounded corners, an all-screen display, and Face ID. However, it’s the build materials that are the distinguishing factors in their designs.
The iPhone 11 Pro features a glass and stainless steel body while the iPhone XR features a glass and aluminum body.
- iPhone XR – The iPhone XR has the same 6.1in display of the iPhone 11 and features Apple’s biometric authentication system called Face ID. Its industrial design features a glass and aluminum body and comes in a wide range of six color options, including a blue model.
- iPhone 11 Pro – The iPhone 11 Pro comes with a 5.8in OLED display. It features Apple’s biometric authentication system called Face ID. The textured matte glass and stainless steel design make it an absolutely gorgeous phone. And this year their glass back will feature a matte finish.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro – The iPhone 11 Pro with its matte glass back and steel frame steals the show.
When it comes to the displays, that’s where the two iPhones really differ. You may think the iPhone XR has the better display because it has the bigger one, but that’s technically not the case. The iPhone XR has a 6.1in display, however, it’s a LCD display with a much lower resolution.
The iPhone 11 Pro, on the other hand, has a 5.8in display, however, it’s an OLED display, which means it’s got much brighter colors, whiter whites, and darker blacks. It also has a much better resolution.
- iPhone XR – The iPhone XR features an edge-to-edge LCD display that is 6.1in and has a 1792 x 828-pixel resolution at 326ppi.
- iPhone 11 Pro – The iPhone 11 Pro features an edge-to-edge OLED display that is a 5.8-inch edge-to-edge OLED display with a 2436×1125-pixel resolution at 458ppi.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro – Without a doubt, the iPhone 11 Pro wins the day here thanks to its OLED display.
When it comes to processing power, there is a difference–but not by that much. The iPhone 11 Pro features the A13 chipset whereas the iPhone XR features the A12. While in tests the A13 is about 20% faster than the A12, in real-world use you might not always be able to tell the difference.
- iPhone XR – the iPhone XR features let year’s A12 chipset, which is about 20% slower than the A13.
- iPhone 11 Pro – the iPhone 11 Pro features the blazing A13 chipset.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro – Technically, the A13 is 20% faster than the A12.
It’s in the camera department that the iPhone 11 Pro DESTROYS the iPhone XR. That’s because the iPhone XR features only a 7MP front camera and a 12MP single-lens rear camera.
The iPhone 11 Pro, on the other hand, features a 12MP front camera and a triple-lens rear camera system. The iPhone 11 Pro also supports advanced software features like Night Mode and portrait photography.
- iPhone XR – The iPhone XR features a 7MP front-facing camera. On the rear camera, you get a single-lens 12MP camera complete with a wide-angle lens.
- iPhone 11 Pro – The iPhone 11 Pro features a 12MP front-facing camera. But the rear camera is a triple-lens system with a 12MP wide-angle, ultra-wide-angle, and telephoto lens, triple optical image stabilization, optical zoom, and 4K video recording. It too also supports advanced photo features like portrait photography and night mode.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro – That triple-lens puts the single lens camera to shame.
Nothing much to see here. It should come as no surprise the iPhone 11 Pro has the larger storage options.
- iPhone XR – 64GB or 128GB
- iPhone 11 Pro – 64GB, 256GB, or 512GB
The iPhone 11 Pro seeks out a win here too. It gets you 18 hours of battery life compared to the 16 hours from the iPhone XR. You can mainly thank that more power-efficient OLED display for the extra two hours of battery life.
- iPhone XR – The iPhone XR’s battery will get you about 16 hours of battery life with mixed usage. It also features wireless charging.
- iPhone 11 Pro – The iPhone 11 Pro’s batteries will get you about 18 hours of battery life with mixed usage. It also features wireless charging.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro – You get an extra two hours of battery life.
- iPhone XR – The 6.1in iPhone XR costs cost £629 (64GB) and £679 (128GB).
- iPhone 11 Pro – The 5.8in iPhone 11 Pro costs £1049 (64GB), £1199 (256GB), or £1399 (512GB).
2019’s iPhones are clearly all about the camera. Give that, it’s clear the winner here is the iPhone 11 Pro. It features that sweet triple-lens rear camera system with a 12MP wide-angle, ultra-wide-angle, and telephoto lenses, triple optical image stabilization, optical zoom, and 4K video recording. There’s just no way the singleness system on the iPhone XR can compete.
The iPhone 11 Pro also features an OLED display, versus the iPhone XR’s LCD display. This means your screen is just going to look better on the 11 Pro. The iPhone 11 Pro is also 20% faster than the XR thanks to its A13 processor. The iPhone 11 Pro wins thanks to its camera, display, and better industrial design.
Another option worth considering, however, is picking up a newer
iPhone 11 Pro vs iPhone XR: Specs
Here are the specs for the iPhone 11 Pro:
- Display: 5.8-inch OLED Super Retina XDR display with a 2436 x 1125-pixel resolution at 458ppi
- Dimensions: 144.0mm x 71.4mm x 8.1mm
- Weight: 188 grams
- Storage: 64, 256, or 512GB
- Processors: A13 Bionic chip with third-generation Neural Engine
- Front camera: 12 MP TrueDepth camera with 4K video recording at up to 60 fps
- Rear camera: Triple 12MP Ultra Wide, Wide and Telephoto cameras with Night mode; 4K video
- Battery: Up to 18 hours (video playback)
- Other: Face ID, NFC, wireless charging, IP68 waterproof (4m)
And here are the specs for the iPhone XR:
- Display: 6.1in LCD Liquid Retina display with a 1792 x 828-pixel resolution at 326ppi i
- Dimensions: 150.9mm x 75.7mm x 8.3mm
- Weight: 188 grams
- Storage: 64 or 128GB
- Processors: A12 Bionic chip with second-generation Neural Engine
- Front camera: 7MP TrueDepth camera with 4K video recording at up to 60 fps
- Rear camera: Single 12MP Wide camera; 4K video
- Battery: Up to 16 hours (video playback)
- Other: Face ID, NFC, wireless charging, IP67 waterproof (1m)