Apple’s newest flagship phones have just been unveiled. This year the flagship will be known as the iPhone 11 Pro. There are two models of the Pro series–the iPhone 11 Pro and the iPhone 11 Pro Max.
But Apple is also keeping the older iPhone XR on sale for another year–and giving it a price drop. So just how does the year-old iPhone XR compare to the new iPhone 11 Pro? Let’s take a closer look at the smaller of the phones below.
iPhone 11 Pro vs iPhone XR Quick Comparison
- iPhone XR – The iPhone XR has the same 6.1in display of the iPhone 11 and features Apple’s biometric authentication system called Face ID. Its industrial design features a glass and aluminium body and comes in a wide range of six color options, including a blue model.
- iPhone 11 Pro – The iPhone 11 Pro comes with a 5.8in OLED display. It features Apple’s biometric authentication system called Face ID. The textured matte glass and stainless steel design make it an absolutely gorgeous phone. And this year their glass back will feature a matte finish.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro – The iPhone 11 Pro with its matte glass back and steel frame steals the show.
- iPhone XR – The iPhone XR features an edge-to-edge LCD display that is 6.1in and has a 1792 x 828-pixel resolution at 326ppi.
- iPhone 11 Pro – The iPhone 11 Pro features an edge-to-edge OLED display that is a 5.8-inch edge-to-edge OLED display with a 2436×1125-pixel resolution at 458ppi.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro – Without a doubt, the iPhone 11 Pro wins the day here thanks to its OLED display.
- iPhone XR – the iPhone XR features let year’s A12 chipset, which is about 20% slower than the A13.
- iPhone 11 Pro – the iPhone 11 Pro features the blazing A13 chipset.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro – The A13 is 20% faster than the A12.
- iPhone XR – The iPhone XR features a 7MP front-facing camera. On the rear camera you get a single-lens 12MP camera complete with a wide-angle lens.
- iPhone 11 Pro – The iPhone 11 Pro features a 12MP front-facing camera. But the rear camera is a triple-lens system with a 12MP wide-angle, ultra wide-angle, and telephoto lens, triple optical image stabilisation, optical zoom, and 4K video recording. It too also supports advanced photo features like portrait photography and night mode.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro – That triple lens puts the single lens to shame.
- iPhone XR – 64GB or 128GB
- iPhone 11 Pro – 64GB, 256GB, or 512GB
- iPhone XR – The iPhone XR’s battery will get you about 16 hours of battery life with mixed usage. It also features wireless charging.
- iPhone 11 Pro – The iPhone 11 Pro’s batteries will get you about 18 hours of battery life with mixed usage. It also features wireless charging.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro – You get an extra two hours of battery life.
- iPhone XR – The 6.1in iPhone XR costs cost £629 (64GB) and £679 (128GB).
- iPhone 11 Pro – The 5.8in iPhone 11 Pro costs £1049 (64GB), £1199 (256GB), or £1399 (512GB).
2019’s iPhones are clearly all about the camera. Give that, it’s clear the winner here is the iPhone 11 Pro. It features that sweet triple lens rear camera system with a 12MP wide-angle, ultra wide-angle, and telephoto lenses, triple optical image stabilisation, optical zoom, and 4K video recording. There’s just no way the singleness system on the iPhone XR can compete.
The iPhone 11 Pro also features an OLED display, versus the iPhone XR’s LCD display. This means your screen is just going to look better on the 11 Pro. The iPhone 11 Pro is also 20% faster than the XR thanks to its A13 processor. The iPhone 11 Pro wins thanks to it camera, display, and better industrial design.
Another option worth considering, however, is picking up a newer refurbished iPhone – something like the iPhone X or iPhone XS, which you can get for 40% less than retail via Gazelle, our #1 pick for refurbished iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, and iMacs.
iPhone 11 Pro vs iPhone XR: Specs
Here are the specs for the iPhone 11 Pro:
- Display: 5.8-inch OLED Super Retina XDR display with a 2436 x 1125-pixel resolution at 458ppi
- Dimensions: 144.0mm x 71.4mm x 8.1mm
- Weight: 188 grams
- Storage: 64, 256, or 512GB
- Processors: A13 Bionic chip with third-generation Neural Engine
- Front camera: 12 MP TrueDepth camera with 4K video recording at up to 60 fps
- Rear camera: Triple 12MP Ultra Wide, Wide and Telephoto cameras with Night mode; 4K video
- Battery: Up to 18 hours (video playback)
- Other: Face ID, NFC, wireless charging, IP68 waterproof (4m)
And here are the specs for the iPhone XR:
- Display: 6.1in LCD Liquid Retina display with a 1792 x 828-pixel resolution at 326ppi i
- Dimensions: 150.9mm x 75.7mm x 8.3mm
- Weight: 188 grams
- Storage: 64 or 128GB
- Processors: A12 Bionic chip with second-generation Neural Engine
- Front camera: 7MP TrueDepth camera with 4K video recording at up to 60 fps
- Rear camera: Single 12MP Wide camera; 4K video
- Battery: Up to 16 hours (video playback)
- Other: Face ID, NFC, wireless charging, IP67 waterproof (1m)