Does The iPhone 13 Need A Screen Protector?
You just got an iPhone 13. Now, should you protect its display? Here’s what you need to know about whether or not Apple’s iPhone 13 needs a screen protector…
So, you’ve got your eyes on the shiny new iPhone 13, or perhaps you’ve already snagged one. With its dazzling array of features, from the A15 chip to the impressive camera upgrades and those fresh, eye-catching colors, it’s a device that’s hard to resist.
But there’s one question that might be lingering in your mind: “Do I need a screen protector for this beauty?”
Before we dive deep into that, let’s talk about a standout feature of the iPhone 13 – its display. Especially if you’re eyeing the Pro series, you’ll be treated to the ProMotion display boasting a 120Hz refresh rate, ensuring smoother animations and more responsive touch interactions. But what about the durability of that screen?
Enter Apple’s Ceramic Shield. This isn’t just any regular screen; it’s a display technology that spans across both the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 lineups. But what makes Ceramic Shield so special? And does it mean you can finally bid farewell to those screen protectors?
Stay with us as we delve into the world of Apple’s Ceramic Shield, explore the pros and cons of adding that extra layer of protection, and even touch upon how phone cases play into the mix. By the end of this post, you’ll have a clear answer to the screen protector dilemma!
Does The iPhone 13 Need A Screen Protector?
The iPhone 13 doesn’t need a screen protector, but those wishing to have the most drop and scratch protection for their iPhone 13 should use one.
However, those that choose to go without a screen protector should feel a little more confident in their choice due to the iPhone 13 using a Ceramic Shield display, which Apple says is the most durable smartphone screen on the market.
If you do decide to get one for your iPhone 13, here’s the best screen protectors you can buy right now.
What Is Ceramic Shield?
Ceramic Shield is not just a marketing term; it represents a significant leap in the materials science and engineering behind smartphone displays. Introduced with the iPhone 12 and continued in the iPhone 13 series, Ceramic Shield is Apple’s answer to the age-old problem of fragile smartphone screens.
How Does Ceramic Shield Work?
- Nano-Ceramic Crystals: At its core, Ceramic Shield is a glass-ceramic hybrid. Apple infuses the glass with nano-ceramic crystals, which are known for their hardness and durability. These crystals are incredibly small, measured at the nanometer scale, ensuring that the display remains transparent.
- Dual Ion-Exchange Process: Apple uses a dual ion-exchange process to strengthen the glass at the molecular level. This process replaces smaller ions with larger ones in the glass’s surface, creating a dense “armor” that resists scratches, dings, and cracks more effectively.
- Optimized for Clarity and Touch Sensitivity: Despite its toughness, Ceramic Shield retains the smoothness and clarity expected from a high-end smartphone display. The infusion of ceramic doesn’t compromise the touch sensitivity or the vibrant color reproduction of the screen.
- Enhanced Drop Protection: When Apple claims that Ceramic Shield offers 4x better drop protection, they’re referring to real-world scenarios. The combination of nano-ceramic crystals and the dual ion-exchange process makes the glass more flexible, allowing it to absorb and distribute the energy from impacts more effectively. This flexibility reduces the likelihood of cracks and shatters when the phone is dropped.
- Collaboration with Corning: Apple’s development of Ceramic Shield was in collaboration with Corning, a renowned name in glass technology. Their combined expertise ensured that the material not only met but exceeded the demands of modern smartphone users.
By reimagining the very structure of glass, Apple has set a new benchmark in smartphone durability. While no glass is entirely unbreakable, Ceramic Shield brings us closer to a future where shattered screens are a rarity rather than an unfortunate common occurrence.
iPhone Case vs Screen Protector
Many people choose to use a case with their iPhone to keep it safe from drops and nicks. However, note that a case is mainly designed to protect the iPhone’s back and side from drops.
While an iPhone case can help absorb the impact of a falling iPhone, and thus lessen the chance of a shattered display, the case itself does not cover the iPhone’s display. At most, the case offers a raised ridge or “lip” around the display, so if the iPhone lands face-down, the display may not come into contact with the ground if the ground is perfectly flat.
The main takeaway here is not to assume your display is protected just because you have your iPhone in a case. Some cases are better than others, for instance; you can buy cases with military-grade protection for iPhone and these will stop nearly everything, and protect your screen too.
Bottom line? When it comes to iPhone cases and overall protection, you get what you pay for which is why it is important to ONLY buy the best possible case from a top-rated case brand for your iPhone.
Me? I’m a huge fan of UAG and Casetify; both provide outstanding protection but, unlike a lot of other heavy-duty cases, they actually look good on your iPhone and provide insane levels of protection.
iPhone 13 Resource Hub 📚
Here’s some of our most helpful content related to the iPhone 13. If you’re looking to buy one, the in-depth guides and reviews below should help: