Sony Xperia Z1 release date, price, specs and features confirmed
Sony Xperia Z1 gets official at IFA 2013, and it looks to be an absolute monster
The Sony Xperia Z1 has launched at IFA 2013, and the damn thing’s an absolute monster with a 20.7-megapixel camera, 5-inch Full HD display, 2GB of RAM and Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 800 chipset in tow.
Like the Sony Xperia Z, the Xperia Z1 is a water and dust resistant. The handset also features Sony’s TRILUMIUS and X-Reality display technology for an unparalleled viewing experience.
Constructed from a solid piece of aluminum, the Sony Xperia Z1 looks like one classy customer. The handset looks premium and includes bleeding edge hardware like Sony’s award-winning G Lens imaging technology – a large 1/2.3-type 20.7MP Exmor RS CMOS image sensor complete with its bespoke BIONZ image processing engine.
‘The combination of these technologies delivers the same level of quality and performance as a conventional compact digital camera in a slim, waterproof smartphone. Indeed, independent testing has confirmed that Xperia Z1 provides the best overall image quality of all leading smartphones,’ said Sony.
Sony has also included the following Camera Applications inside the Xperia Z1 so as to ensure you get the most out its advanced imaging capabilities:
- Social live: Broadcast precious moments live from Xperia Z1 to Facebook and get your friends’ comments right on your screen.
- Info-eye: Innovative visual search function that provides related information on landmarks and on items such as books or wine simply by capturing them with the camera.
- Timeshift burst: Capture the perfect shot every time - Xperia Z1 takes 61 images in 2 seconds - a second before and after pressing the shutter - so you can scroll back and forth to find the perfect image.
- AR effect: Overlay a selection of fun, customizable animations to create pictures using Sony’s SmartAR augmented reality technology.
Sony Xperia Z1 UK Release Date & Pricing
The Sony Xperia Z1 is now up for pre-order at Carphone Warehouse and is available in the following colours: black, white and purple. Phones4U says the Xperia Z1 will be available at the end of September.
The Sony Xperia Z1 has had its UK release date and pricing confirmed. The new superphone from Sony will be available unlocked from Unlocked-Mobiles for the princely sum of £564.98.
But if you’re looking for something slightly less damaging to your wallet, then there’s plenty of tariffs to choose from. EE, O2, Three, and Vodafone have all now confirmed that they will be carrying the handset.
Below are all the details:
Pre-orders are now open and the Sony Xperia Z1 is available on a variety of tariffs. Check out all the deals here.
The Sean Bean-fronted UK network has yet to confirm any pricing or tariffs as yet. We’ll update as soon as they become available, so stay tuned for that.
Like O2, Vodafone is also remaining annoyingly quiet about its tariffs and plans for the Sony Xperia Z1. Again, we’ll update as soon as we know more.
The phone is available to pre-order in both black and white, and the best deal is a 24-month £46 EE tariff that includes unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, 10GB of data, a free Sony Smartwatch 2 and a free wireless speaker. Click here for more details.
Sony Xperia Z1 Official Specs
- Size: 144 x 74 x 8.5mm
- Weight: 170g
- 5-inch Full HD display (1920 x 1080 resolution) with TRILUMINOS and X-Reality technology
- 2.2GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor with Adreno 330 graphics
- 2GB of RAM
- 16GB of memory
- microSD support
- 20.7-megapixel Exmor RS CMOS image sensor with G Lens (27mm wide angle and F2.0 aperture), BIONZ for mobile and a suite of camera apps (Info-eye, AR Effect, Timeshift Burst, Social Live)
- 3000mAh battery
- IP55/IP58 rating – waterproof and dustproof
- Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with Sony features on top