If you regularly shop on Amazon then there’s a good chance that at some point you’ll be needing to request a refund for one of many reasons. Here’s exactly how to do that.
Amazon is the world’s largest marketplace, with more than 350 million goods available for purchase at any given moment. Amazon racks up over $4000 in sales every second. By the time you’ve read this paragraph, Amazon will have made $16,000. In an hour, it’ll net around $1 million in sales. Crazy, right?
Amazon, along with Apple, Facebook, and Google, is considered one of the “Big Four” technology firms, specialising in the likes of e-commerce, music and video streaming, cloud files and storage, and even artificial intelligence.
Amazon offers a wide range of services, however, in this post, we’ll be focusing only on returns of physical products that have been purchased from the Amazon online marketplace. Here’s how to claim a refund on a product you purchased from Amazon:
- Sign in to your Amazon account.
- Click on the Your Orders area in the upper right corner, under Accounts & Lists.
- Browse for the order or item of concern.
- Choose the problem that relates to your order and refund request.
- Explain your issue in further detail.
- Submit your refund request.
Amazon’s Refund Policy
In most situations, anything sent from Amazon.com, including Amazon Warehouse, can be returned within 30 days of delivery. Some goods come with their own set of regulations or restrictions.
When returning an item, make sure you include the right and full item. To obtain a refund, the right item must be returned.
Amazon will discard incorrect/mistaken returns to safeguard its workers and consumers. Please notify Customer Service as soon as possible if you unintentionally submitted the wrong item to Amazon. Amazon cannot guarantee that your item will be located and returned, and there is no reimbursement for products delivered to Amazon that are wrong.
How Long Do Amazon Refunds Take?
Amazon will usually begin the refund procedure immediately after receiving the returned item. If you don’t have to ship the products back, the operation should move considerably faster. It usually takes three to five business days for your refund request to be processed and the funds to appear on your credit card. Keep in mind that depending on the initial payment method, this might take longer.
Here are the estimated processing timeframes for refunds depending on the payment method used:
- Credit Card – 3-5 Business Days
- Amazon Gift Card – 2-3 Hours
- Debit Card – Up To 10 Business Days
- Gift Card Balance – 2-3 Hours
- Prepaid Credit Card – Up To 30 Days
- Reward Points – Up To 5 Business Days
How To Check The Progress Of Your Refund
Sign in to your Amazon account and in the “Your Account” section, you can check the current status of your refund request.
Within Your Account:
- Navigate to Orders.
- Choose Order Details from the drop-down menu next to the order you returned or cancelled.
- The information you seek may be found in the Order Summary section.
How To Cancel An Amazon Order
The most reliable approach to receive a refund is to cancel a purchase before it ships. The steps are as follows:
- Sign in to your Amazon account.
- Click the Orders button in the right section of the navigation bar.
- Locate the order that you wish to cancel.
- Choose a cancellation reason. This is an optional step.
- Select the things you wish to cancel using the tiny checkbox.
- Select Cancel checked items from the drop-down menu.
Amazon may approve or refuse your request if your item is already being prepared for shipping. After you’ve completed the procedures above, click Request Cancellation to see whether Amazon will let you cancel the order.
How To Cancel A Marketplace Order
You have roughly 30 minutes to cancel a purchase placed through a Marketplace vendor. To cancel an order, follow the steps outlined above.
If it’s been more than 30 minutes since you placed your order, you can cancel it using the same procedure. Your request may be accepted or rejected by marketplace vendors.
It takes a few minutes to obtain a refund once you cancel a purchase and the request is approved. It might take up to 10 days for the payment to reflect on your credit card if you paid using a debit card.
Amazon Refunds Without Returns
When you ask for an Amazon refund, you will typically be required to return the item to them. In some circumstances, Amazon may conclude that a refund is possible without the need for a return.
The cost of the item will play a major role in this judgment. They may think it’s not worth the practical effort if the price is so low that it surpasses the cost of shipping it back to Amazon, as well as checking and replenishing it. Allowing you to keep the item also aids the firm in retaining consumers and establishing a better reputation.
If you don’t need to return your product in order to attain a refund, you will be notified in the Returns Center.
How To Get Amazon Support If Required
If for whatever reason during this process you need to contact Amazon customer services, here’s the best way to do so:
- Open your web browser and go to your region’s Amazon website.
- Click the three horizontal parallel lines button next to the Amazon logo in the upper right corner of your screen.
- A menu will appear on the screen. There is a “Help” button at the bottom, right before the “Sign in” link. Simply press the button.
- Six symbols will appear, each indicating a frequent issue for which customers typically seek assistance. If you can’t locate your problem among the options given, you’ll notice a search bar beneath them to utilise. You can browse additional “help topics” beneath the search bar. Each link you select expands into a right-hand list. Select the link in the list that best describes your issue.
- The website will redirect you to a different page if you click on any of the six options provided. You may be required to sign in before you can use some of the choices.
- “Additional Resources” can be found at the bottom of the page. You may also use the Amazon Community forum to discuss thoughts.
- To speak with a representative, click “Contact us.”