It wouldn’t be Christmas Day without getting a gift card. And one of the most popular gift cards for gadget lovers is the iTunes gift card by Apple. Despite its name, an iTunes gift card can buy much more than music through the iTunes store.
When you add an iTunes gift card to your account you can use the funds in any Store Apple owns, including the iTunes Store, the App Store, and the Book Store. But first, you gotta add the funds from the gift card to your account.
And truthfully, Apple could make the process more straightforward than it is. That’s why we have created this guide to tell you how to redeem your iTunes gift card so you can start buying apps, music, movies, books, and more.
Redeem iTunes Gift Card On An iPhone Or iPad
The most immediate way you can redeem an iTunes gift card is via your iOS device, which you almost always have with you. So after grandma gives you that card, whip our your iPhone or iPad and do the following:
- Open the App Store app.
- Tap the Today tab and then tap your photo in the upper-right corner.
- Tap “Redeem Gift Card or Code.”
- On the next screen, tap “Use Camera” and then place the back of your iTunes gift card within view of your iPhone’s camera. Line up the gift card so the 16-digit code beginning with X is visible. After a few seconds, the camera will scan the code and enter it into the field on your iOS device’s screen.
- Now tap the Done button and your funds will be added to your Apple ID account ready to be spent by you.
Redeem iTunes Gift Card On An Android Phone
Believe it or not, you can also redeem iTunes gift cards on Android devices. I know, if you use an Android device, why would you need an iTunes gift card? It’s because Apple makes the Apple Music app and streaming service for Android devices too, so you can use iTunes gift cards to pay for it.
To redeem an iTunes gift card on an Android device:
- Open the Apple Music app and your Android phone.
- Tap the menu button (the three dots)
- Tap Account.
- Tap “Redeem Gift Card or Code.”
- Enter the code from the back of the iTunes gift card and then tap Redeem.
Redeem iTunes Gift Card On iTunes On A Mac Or PC
You can also redeem a gift card through iTunes on your Mac or PC. Here’s how to do that.
- Open the iTunes app on your Mac or PC.
- From the menu bar choose Account > Redeem.
- Sign in with your Apple ID.
- Now from the next screen, enter your iTunes gift card 16-digit code beginning with X in the box provided, or click the “Use Camera” button.
- If you use the camera option, place the back of your iTunes gift card within view of your PC’s camera. Line up the gift card so the 16-digit code beginning with X is visible. After a few seconds, the camera will scan the code and enter it into the field in iTunes.
- Click Redeem and now you are done. The credit has been added to your account and can be used as you like.
Now enjoy those iTunes credits!
Unlock The ENTIRE Web. Access Streaming Services Anywhere. Say Goodbye to Censorship & Restrictions.
Apple expert and novelist, Michael Grothaus has been covering tech on KnowYourMobile for the best part of 10 years. Prior to this, he worked at Apple. And before that, he was a film journalist. Michael is a published author; his book Epiphany Jones was voted as one of the best novels about Hollywood by Entertainment Weekly. Michael is also a writer at other publications including VICE and Fast Company.