Apple’s newest iPhone is the iPhone 11. Apple introduced the iPhone along with a “Pro” variant, which has better cameras and OLED screens. However, the regular iPhone 11 is sure to appeal to people too, who want a low price point and a dual-lens camera. Google’s newest phone is the Pixel 4. As with the iPhone 11, the Pixel 4 XL comes in a “pro” variant called the Pixel 4 XL, which has a larger display. We’ll be taking a look at the Pixel 4 XL in this post
So now that Apple and Google both have their 2019 flagships out, how do the two compare? Let’s take a look.
iPhone 11 vs Pixel 4 XL Quick Comparison
- iPhone 11 – The iPhone 11 has a 6.1in display and features Apple’s biometric authentication system called Face ID. Its industrial design features a glass and aluminium body and comes in a wide range of six color options, including a new green model.
- Pixel 4 XL – The Pixel 4 XL has a 6.3in display and features the company’s “Face Unlock” biometric authentication system. Its industrial design features a metal frame and back rubber body and comes in a wide range of three color options: black, white, or orange.
Winner? iPhone 11 – The iPhone 11 blows the Pixel 4 XL out of the water with its modern design. A rubber back, Pixel 4 XL? Really?
- iPhone 11 – The iPhone 11 features an edge-to-edge LCD display that is 6.1in and has a 1792 x 828-pixel resolution at 326ppi.
- Pixel 4 XL – The Pixel 4 XL features an OLED display that is 6.3in and has a 3040 x 1440-pixel resolution at 537ppi.
Winner? Pixel 4 XL – An OLED display is always going to look better than an LCD.
- iPhone 11 – the iPhone 11 features the A13 chipset. This A13 is a 7nm chip with 6 cores, which is absolutely INSANE.
- Pixel 4 XL – the Pixel 4 XL features the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855, which is about 50% slower than the A13.
Winner? iPhone 11 – The A13 is almost twice as fast as the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855.
- iPhone 11 – The iPhone 11 features a 12MP front-facing camera. But on the rear camera you get a dual-lens 12MP rear camera complete with a wide-angle and telephoto lens and dual optical zoom. It also supports advanced photo features like portrait photography.
- Pixel 4 XL – The Pixel 4 XL features a 8MP front-facing camera. On the rear camera you get a dual-lens 12.2MP (wide) and 16MP (telephoto) camera.
Winner? Draw – It’s hard to say which rear camera system is the best. They both offer wide-angle lenses, but the iPhone 11 has an additional ultra-wide and the Pixel 4 XL has an additional telephoto. Are you looking to take zoomed shots or very wide ones?
- iPhone 11 – 64GB, 128GB, or 256GB
- Pixel 4 XL – 64GB or 128GB
- iPhone 11 – The iPhone 11 battery will get you about 18 hours of battery life with mixed usage. It also features wireless charging.
- Pixel 4 XL – The Pixel 4 XL’s battery will get you about 14 hours of battery life with mixed usage. It also features wireless charging.
Winner? iPhone 11 – You get an extra four hours of battery life.
- iPhone 11 – The iPhone 11 costs £729 (64GB) and £779 (128GB) and £879 (256GB).
- Pixel 4 XL – The Pixel 4 XL costs cost £829 (64GB) and £929 (128GB).
The iPhone 11 is better in a lot of verticals, including design, processing power, battery, front-facing camera and Face ID (the Pixel 4 XL’s Face Unlock can be unlocked even when you eyes are closed–a major security risk).
However, the Pixel 4 XL bests the iPhone 11 when it comes to display thanks to its OLED panel. It also features a cool bit of tech called Motion Sense that lets you navigate common phone tasks, like scrolling web pages, just by waving your hand in front of the phone. A good example of when you might do this is when you’re reading a website while eating lunch.
But overall, the iPhone 11 seems like the winner–at least if you prefer iOS to Android 10. If not, the Pixel 4 XL is the best Android phone Google has ever made and a good choice for Android fans who want the “pure” Android experience.
Another option worth considering, however, is picking up a newer refurbished iPhone – something like the iPhone X or iPhone XS, which you can get for 40% less than retail via Gazelle, our #1 pick for refurbished iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, and iMacs.
iPhone 11 vs Pixel 4 XL: Specs
Here are the specs for the iPhone 11:
- Display: 6.1in LCD Liquid Retina display with a 1792 x 828-pixel resolution at 326ppi
- Dimensions: 150.9mm x 75.7mm x 8.3mm
- Weight: 194 grams
- Storage: 64, 128, or 256GB
- Processors: A13 Bionic chip with third-generation Neural Engine
- Front camera: 12 MP TrueDepth camera with 4K video recording at up to 60 fps
- Rear camera: Dual 12MP Ultra Wide and Wide cameras with Night mode; 4K video
- Battery: Up to 18 hours (video playback)
- Other: Face ID, NFC, wireless charging, IP68 waterproof (2m)
And here are the specs for the Pixel 4 XL:
- Display: 6.3in OLED display with a 3040 x 1440-pixel resolution at 537ppi
- Dimensions: 160.4mm x 75.1mm x 8.2mm
- Weight: 193 grams
- Storage: 64 or 128GB
- Processors: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855
- Front camera: 8MP camera with 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps
- Rear camera: Dual 16MP (telephoto) and 12.2MP (wide) camera; 4K video
- Battery: Up to 14 hours (video playback)
- Other: Face Unlock, Motion Sense, NFC, wireless charging, IP68 waterproof (2m)