Apple’s has unveiled its newest flagship phones for 2019. This year the flagship will be known as the iPhone 11 Pro. There are two models of the Pro series–the iPhone 11 Pro and the iPhone 11 Pro Max.
But Apple is also keeping the older iPhone 8 Plus on sale for another year–and giving it a price drop. So just how does the two-year-old iPhone 8 Plus compare to the new iPhone 11 Pro? Let’s take a closer look at the smaller of the phones below.
iPhone 11 Pro vs iPhone 8 Plus Quick Comparison
- iPhone 8 Plus – The iPhone 8 Plus has a 5.5in display and features Apple’s original biometric authentication system called Touch ID, which uses your fingerprint instead of your face to unlock your phone. Its industrial design features a glass and aluminium body and comes in a wide range of three color options.
- iPhone 11 Pro – The iPhone 11 Pro comes with a 5.8in OLED display. It features Apple’s biometric authentication system called Face ID. The textured matte glass and stainless steel design make it an absolutely gorgeous phone. And this year their glass back will feature a matte finish.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro – The iPhone 11 Pro with its matte glass back and steel frame steals the show.
- iPhone 8 Plus – The iPhone 8 Plus features an LCD display that is 5.5in and has a 1920 x 1080-pixel resolution at 401ppi.
- iPhone 11 Pro – The iPhone 11 Pro features an edge-to-edge OLED display that is a 5.8-inch edge-to-edge OLED display with a 2436×1125-pixel resolution at 458ppi.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro – Without a doubt, the iPhone 11 Pro wins the day here thanks to its OLED display.
- iPhone 8 Plus – the iPhone 8 Plus features the two-year-old A11 chipset, which is about 40% slower than the A13.
- iPhone 11 Pro – the iPhone 11 Pro features the blazing A13 chipset.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro – The A13 is 40% faster than the A11.
- iPhone 8 Plus – The iPhone 8 Plus features a 7MP front-facing camera. On the rear camera you get a dual 12MP wide and telephoto camera.
- iPhone 11 Pro – The iPhone 11 Pro features a 12MP front-facing camera. But the rear camera is a triple-lens system with a 12MP wide-angle, ultra wide-angle, and telephoto lens, triple optical image stabilisation, optical zoom, and 4K video recording. It too also supports advanced photo features like portrait photography and night mode.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro – That triple-lens puts the dual-lens to shame.
- iPhone 8 Plus – 64GB or 128GB
- iPhone 11 Pro – 64GB, 256GB, or 512GB
- iPhone 8 Plus – The iPhone 8 Plus’s battery will get you about 14 hours of battery life with mixed usage. It also features wireless charging.
- iPhone 11 Pro – The iPhone 11 Pro’s batteries will get you about 18 hours of battery life with mixed usage. It also features wireless charging.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro – You get an extra four hours of battery life.
- iPhone 8 Plus – The 5.5in iPhone 8 Plus costs cost £579 (64GB) and £629 (128GB).
- iPhone 11 Pro – The 5.8in iPhone 11 Pro costs £1049 (64GB), £1199 (256GB), or £1399 (512GB).
2019’s iPhones are clearly all about the camera. Give that, it’s the winner here is the iPhone 11 Pro. It features that sweet triple-lens rear camera system with a 12MP wide-angle, ultra wide-angle, and telephoto lenses, triple optical image stabilisation, optical zoom, and 4K video recording. There’s just no way the dual-lens system on the iPhone 8 Plus can compete.
The iPhone 11 Pro also features an OLED display, versus the iPhone 8 Plus’s LCD display. This means your screen is just going to look better on the 11 Pro. The iPhone 11 Pro is also 40% faster than the 8 Plus thanks to its A13 processor. The iPhone 11 Pro wins thanks to it camera, display, and better industrial design.
Another option worth considering, however, is picking up a newer refurbished iPhone – something like the iPhone X or iPhone XS, which you can get for 40% less than retail via Gazelle, our #1 pick for refurbished iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, and iMacs.
iPhone 11 Pro vs iPhone 8 Plus: Specs
Here are the specs for the iPhone 11 Pro:
- Display: 5.8-inch OLED Super Retina XDR display with a 2436 x 1125-pixel resolution at 458ppi
- Dimensions: 144.0mm x 71.4mm x 8.1mm
- Weight: 188 grams
- Storage: 64, 256, or 512GB
- Processors: A13 Bionic chip with third-generation Neural Engine
- Front camera: 12 MP TrueDepth camera with 4K video recording at up to 60 fps
- Rear camera: Triple 12MP Ultra Wide, Wide and Telephoto cameras with Night mode; 4K video
- Battery: Up to 18 hours (video playback)
- Other: Face ID, NFC, wireless charging, IP68 waterproof (4m)
And here are the specs for the iPhone 8 Plus:
- Display: 5.5in LCD Retina HD display with a 1920 x 1080-pixel resolution at 401ppi
- Dimensions: 158.4mm x 78.1mm x 7.5mm
- Weight: 202 grams
- Storage: 64 or 128GB
- Processors: A11 Bionic chip with Neural Engine
- Front camera: 7MP FaceTime HD camera with 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps
- Rear camera: Dual 12MP Wide and Telephoto cameras; 4K video
- Battery: Up to 14 hours (video playback)
- Other: Touch ID, NFC, wireless charging, IP67 waterproof (1m)