Apple TV+ is Apple’s latest subscription service. This one is also it’s most high-profile. The Apple TV+ streaming service is hoping to make its marks in a field crowded with heavyweights including Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, and Disney+.
Given the competition, it’s little wonder that Apple has priced its monthly fee for the service VERY competitively at just $4.99 a month. However, there’s a way you can actually get the service for FREE for a year. How? Read on to find out all about the service and how to get it for free.
Apple TV+: What Is It?
It’s Apple’s attempt at a streaming TV service. Apple is throwing billions of dollars at original content in the hopes that it can use the popularity of its iPhones and Macs to pull people into paying for a video streaming service from the company.
Apple TV+: How Is It Different Than Other Streaming Services?
It’s different in plenty of ways–for starters, it doesn’t have much content. Yep, Apple TV+ doesn’t offer a back catalog of content from third-party providers like other streaming services do. Instead Apple TV+ ONLY has original content Apple specifically acquired for Apple TV+.
But another way its different is that the original content does have some MAJOR big names behind them, including Jason Mamoa, Jennifer Aniston, Hailee Steinfeld, Steven Spielberg, Oprah, and even Prince Harry.
Apple TV+: What Shows Does It Offer?
The launch shows are:
- The Morning Show starring Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon.
- See starring Jason Momoa.
- Dickinson starring Hailee Steinfeld.
- For All Mankind created by Ronald D. Moore (Battlestar Galactica).
- Helpsters by Children’s Television Workshop.
- Snoopy in Space
- Oprah’s Book Club
- The Elephant Queen
But there are more shows and movies coming to the service all the time including:
- Servant by M. Night Shyamalan.
- The Banker with Samuel L. Jackson and Anthony Mackie.
- Amazing Stories by Steven Spielberg.
- Severance directed and produced by Ben Stiller.
- A Christmas Carol starring Will Ferrell and Ryan Reynolds.
…and dozens more.
Apple TV+: What Devices Does It Work On?
Most of the big-name ones that everyone owns. You can watch Apple TV+ on:
- Apple TV
- Samsung Smart TVs
- Amazon Fire TV
Apple TV+: How Much Does It Cost?
Just $4.99 a month, which isn’t a bad deal.
Apple TV+: How Do I Get It For Free?
There are SEVERAL ways to get Apple TV+ for free. The first is to sign up for a free 7-day trial. This is how most people will get it for free.
But you can also get an Apple TV+ subscription at no additional cost if you’re an Apple Music subscriber to the student plan. If you are then you get an Apple TV+ subscription added to that plan automatically!
The final way to get Apple TV+ for free is to buy a new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac after September 10, 2019, from Apple or an Apple-authorized reseller. Anyone who does this gets a FREE YEAR of Apple TV+. Talk about a great deal!
Apple TV+: How Do I Redeem My Free Year of Apple TV+?
If you’ve bought a new Apple product listed above simply follow these steps:
- Sign in with your Apple ID on your new Apple device.
- Make sure your device is running the latest version of iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, or macOS.
- Open the Apple TV app on your device.
- The 1-year free offer should show immediately after launching the app.
- Tap the “Enjoy 1 Year Free” button and you’re good to go!
Apple expert and novelist, Michael Grothaus has been covering tech on KnowYourMobile for the best part of 10 years. Prior to this, he worked at Apple. And before that, he was a film journalist. Michael is a published author; his book Epiphany Jones was voted as one of the best novels about Hollywood by Entertainment Weekly. Michael is also a writer at other publications including VICE and Fast Company.