iMessages are one of the best reasons for using an iPhone. But one of the most dreaded error messages on the iPhone is the iMessage “Waiting For Activation” error. But don’t worry about that anymore. Because this article is going to walk you through the steps you need to fix the error.
Apple’s messaging service is end-to-end encrypted, easy to use, and is packed with cool features like Memojis. Plus, Apple’s Messages (also known as iMessages) let you send and receive texts not just on your iPhone, but on all Apple devices, including iPads, Macs, and even the Apple Watch. But for some reason, people occasionally get the deaded iMessage activation error when trying to set iMessages up.
The good news is a fix is possible, the bad news is the fix isn’t always the same for everyone. That being said, I’ve compiled a list of methods below that people on various forums said worked for them. If you’re having iMessage activation problems on either your iPhone or iPad go through the list below. You’re sure to find one method that works for you.
A few things to keep in mind before beginning troubleshooting:
If you are trying to activate iMessage on your iPhone check to make sure your carrier supports the feature (a rare few still do not). Other things to check:
- Upgrade your iPhone to the latest iOS first.
- On your iPhone, make sure your phone number is listed in the “You” card in your Contacts app. If it’s not there go to Settings > Phone > My Number and enter the phone number you see there.
- For iPhone, it’s best to set up iMessage using a cellular connection and not a Wi-Fi one.
- Make sure you’ve updated to the latest version of iOS on all your devices.
Types of Common iMessage Errors
The “Waiting For Activation” error isn’t the only error you may get with iMessage. Other errors include the ones listed below:
- “Waiting for activation”
- “Unable to connect to the iMessage server. Try again.”
- “An error occurred during activation”
- “Activation unsuccessful”
- “Could not sign in, please check your network connection”
The good news is, the steps below can also fix many of those errors as well.
Now, if you’ve made sure of the above and are still seeing “Waiting for Activation”, “Activation unsuccessful”, “An error occurred during activation”, or other like errors, try these methods to fix them:
Method #1: Airplane Mode
As strange as it sounds, sometimes Airplane mode can solve your iMessage activation errors. Of course, if Airplane mode is enabled you won’t be able to activate iMessage (or connect to the internet at all), but sometimes toggling it on and off can fiddle with the setting on your iPhone enough to get iMessage around any bottleneck that is preventing it from activating. The following instructions come from an Apple support forum member:
- Open Settings and scroll down and select Messages. Toggle the iMessage switch to OFF (white).
- Now, turn on Airplane mode. This will shut off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on your device.
- Next, manually turn ON Wi-Fi.
- In Settings return to Messages and enable iMessage (toggle switch to green).
- If prompted, enter your Apple ID.
- Return to Settings and now turn OFF Airplane mode.
- If you are on your iPhone you’ll probably be shown a notification that says ‘Your carrier may charge for SMS’. Tap OK.
- If you don’t see this, go back to Messages’ settings in Settings and then turn OFF iMessage and then turn it ON once again.
- It could take a few minutes, but if you’ve followed the above steps iMessage should now successfully get activated.
Method #2: Sign In And Out Of Your Apple ID…Repeatedly.
If the above doesn’t work, sometimes that suggests the issue is with a login problem with your Apple ID. So try this next:
- Open Settings and scroll down and select Messages.
- On the Messages settings screen tap where it says ‘Send & Receive’.
- If you are currently logged in with your Apple ID (you should be if you are trying to activate iMessage), tap the Apple ID at the top of the screen.
- In the popup that appears tap “Sign Out”.
- Return to the Messages settings screen and toggle the iMessage switch to OFF (white).
- Give it a few minutes and then toggle the iMessage switch back to ON (green).
- Now enter your Apple ID details again.
Keep in mind you may need to try this several times for it to work.
Method #3: Reset or Restore
This is what I call the “nuclear option”. If you aren’t having any luck with enabling iMessage on your iPhone or iPad many people have found success resting or restoring their device completely. Yes, this is annoying, but if you want iMessages, this is sometimes the only option you have left.
The most non-invasive option here is Reset. This simply resets your location and other settings on the iPhone and iPad–all your data remains intact. To reset your iPhone follow these steps here. If Resetting doesn’t work, pull out all the stops–restore your iPhone to factory settings. Here’s how to restore your iPhone. Hopefully, a Restore will solve the issue if nothing else has. But if it doesn’t work we recommend contacting Apple directly.
Be Aware: iMessage Can Take 24 Hours To Activate
There is one final thing you need to be aware of if iMessage still isn’t activating: there actually may not be a problem. Yep, you read that right.
That’s because iMessage can actually take up to 24 hours to activate. Yeah, that’s a long time–but for some users, it just takes that long. Apple even explicitly states the fact that it can take a full day: “It can take up to 24 hours for iMessage and FaceTime to be activated,” the company notes.
So, if you’ve tried all of the above and nothing works. try activating iMessage again, but be patient and give it 24 hours. But if nothing works after that, then you’ll need to contact Apple support or your carrier’s helpline to resolve the issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why does iMessage say waiting for activation?
“Waiting for activation” is a common error some users get when setting up iMessage for the first time. The good news is there’s an easy fix (see the steps above). But also note that iMessage activation can take a full 24 hours the first time you set it up.
Q: Why won't my iMessages activate?
If your iMessage is not activating there is usually a software error. Thankfully, this is resolvable quite easily, following the steps above. However, the rare user will need to contact Apple or their carrier to resolve the issue.
Q: Does it take 24 hours for iMessage to activate?
iMessage activation usually happens within minuts. However, Appel states that in some circumstances iMessage can take 24 hours to activate.
Apple expert and novelist, Michael Grothaus has been covering tech on KnowYourMobile for the best part of 10 years. Prior to this, he worked at Apple. And before that, he was a film journalist. Michael is a published author; his book Epiphany Jones was voted as one of the best novels about Hollywood by Entertainment Weekly. Michael is also a writer at other publications including VICE and Fast Company.