The iPad 2 supports a variety of email clinets – Exchange, POP3, IMAP, MobileMe and Gmail – so you’ve got support for practically every conceivable email platform.
In this guide we’ll take you through all the iPad 2’s email features, so none will be a surprise when you come across them.
- Tap Mail
- In landscape mode, you’ll see your inbox on the on left
- Touch a message subject to see it on the right
- Turn your iPad 2 into portrait mode and the message will fill the screen.
- When you’re viewing your emails, you can easily view your inbox by tapping on the icon in the top left hand corner. Your inbox will appear overlaid on the iPad 2’s screen
Handling email attachments
- Like on the iPhone, pictures show up in the email. You can save an attachment by tapping on it and selecting save.
- To copy the image for sending on, just select Copy.
- Other documents including PDFs and Office documents also show up in the body of the email. Tap on them to open in full screen.
Composing an email
- To compose a new email, you simply have to open up the Mail app and tap the new message icon in the top right of the screen.
- A popup box will appear on top of the inbox.
- When you start typing in the To field, any contacts you have synched to your device will appear automatically. Select the one you want.
- Like with the iPhone, when you type, spellings will be corrected and punctuation inserted by using all the same shortcuts.
- When you’ve finished composing your email, you simply press ‘send’ and off the mail will go.
- You’ll need to delete or move emails in landscape mode, so turn the iPad 2 round.
- You can just tap on the icon that appears in the right side of the inbox list.
- Now, just tap the emails you want to delete and a delete icon will appear to the left of the message.
- You’ll see all of your selected emails in a pile on the right side of the email app.
- To move the emails, tap on the ‘move’ button at the bottom of the email list.
- To delete, select ‘delete’ at the bottom of the screen.
Searching for a message
- Once again, you’ll need to be in landscape mode for this.
- In the inbox list, you’ll see the search box at the top.
- The search will be set by default to searching in the ‘from’ field. You can change this to To , Subject and All by selecting the tab.
- When you start typing, the iPad 2 will start searching through your inbox.
- If the email you’re looking for hasn’t downloaded yet, you can tap on ‘Continue searching on the server’ to search all the email linked to that email account that hasn’t been downloaded.
Adding contacts to your address book from Mail
- Like on the iPhone, the iPad 2 automatically recognizes phone numbers, email addresses and postal addresses.
- From an email, simply press and hold the field. If it’s a postal address, you can look it up in Google Maps, Create a new contact, Add to an existing contact or Copy it to the clipboard.