It’s fair to say that the launch of the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge have been largely well received. It represented a complete turnaround from the disappointing Galaxy S5 reveal around 12 months earlier, wooing onlookers with a sleek, high-grade metal-and-glass body. However, some people may have been a bit miffed that the waterproofing introduced on the Galaxy S5 was sacrificed only a year later on the altar of premium design. Samsung, as it turns out, has a solution to this conundrum – the Galaxy S6 Active.
Samsung fans will likely already be familiar with the Galaxy Active series – a spin-off of the last few generations of Galaxy S flagships which sees the Korean manufacturer slapping some extra rugged features onboard, including waterproofing, together with a slight design tweak. It’s marketed towards outdoorsy, sporty types, but of course the added survivability is often welcomed by other users. This is likely to prove even more favourable now that waterproofing has fallen off the main flagship branch.
Samsung Galaxy S6 Active Specifications:
- CPU: 1.5 Ghz quad-core Cortex-A53 + 2.1 Ghz quad-core Cortex-A57
- Chipset: Exynos 7420
- OS: Android 5.0.2 with Touchwiz
- Supported Networks: 2G, 3G, 4G
- Design: IP68 and Mil-STD-810G certification
- Dust and water-resistant for up to 30 min under 1.5 meters
- Display: 5.1” Super AMOLED with QHD resolution
- Internal: 32 GB
- Card slot: No
- Primary: 16 megapixel with 4K video
- Secondary: 5 megapixel full HD
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.1, NFC, IR Blaster, GPS, Wi-Fi 802.11ac
- Battery: 3,500 mAh non-removable, with wireless charging
The word of this revamped device first came via reliable site SamMobile and its insider sources. Now AT&T in the US has offically lifted the lid on the Galaxy S6 Active. It turns out that much of the device is the same as the regular Samsung Galaxy S6. It’s got a 5.1in display with a Quad HD Super AMOLED at 2,560 x 1,440p resolution. Internal storage is 32GB, with both 16MP and 5MP cameras on rear and front panlels respectively.
Of course, externally the Active is much different. It’s measurements are reported as being 146.9 x 73.6 x 8.8 mm – which is still far from being any kind of chunky monkey. With that you get a dustproof, shock- and water-resistant phone that comes with a IP68 rating. That’s a military rating for “water-resistance and to withstand dust, shock, vibration, temperature extremes, humidity, and high altitude” according to AT&T. The S6 Active is also submersible up to 1.5 m of water for up to 30 minutes and it’s shock-resistant when dropped from ≤ 4 feet onto a flat surface.
And then there’s the battery–it’s MUCH larger than the S6’s 2,550mAh battery. The S6 Active pack a massive 3,500 mAh battery inside that is said to last 15-20 hours on a single charge.
As Sam Mobile reports: “Samsung’s current Galaxy S6 will get you 13-15 hours of battery life, with 3-4 hours of typical on-screen time unless you tend to use your device throughout the day for heavy news reading, tweeting, or social media posting. LCD screens are known to drain battery life more than AMOLED display panels due to a battery-powered backlight, and the 3,500mAh battery has been implemented to help with potential battery problems. There are Galaxy S6 and S6 edge users on social media that are getting 20-24 hours out of their new devices, so the S6 Active’s mega battery gives us hope that Samsung will make a day with typical usage the norm in the new ruggedised edition.”
Here’s the full specs of the S6 Active, from AT&T’s site:
- Display: The Galaxy S6 active has a 5.1-inch Quad HD Super AMOLED® display with 577ppi that automatically adapts to the content you’re viewing – even outdoors.
- Camera: With a double-tap of the home button, the 16MP rear-facing and 5MP front-facing cameras launch faster than ever. Auto-Real time High Dynamic Range (HDR) captures clever shots in virtually any light, and the front camera’s wide-angle lens allows you to take epic selfies.
- Operating System: Android™ 5.0.2 (Lollipop).
- Processor: The Samsung Galaxy S6 active comes with Octa-core 64-bit processor, Samsung’s fastest and most powerful processor in a smartphone.
- Storage: 32GB of internal memory
- Voice Calling: HD Voice capable.
- Battery Life: The Samsung Galaxy S6 active features a 3500mAh and embedded wireless charging technology that works with most wireless charging pads on the market, so there’s no more looking for a cord or place to plug in.
- Outdoor Features: Activity Zone is the ideal companion for outdoor adventures, and includes a quick launching compass, flashlight, stopwatch, and more.
- Business Ready: Samsung KNOX provides security and protection right out of the box, along with support for MDM partners, making device management easy for IT administrators.
Galaxy S6 Active Release Date and Price
There’s no word on a UK release yet, but in the United States the Galaxy S6 Active will be released on June 12 as an AT&T exclusive. It will come in Camo White, Camo Blue, or Gray. There’s now word what an unlocked Active will cost you but AT&T says qualified customers can purchase the Samsung Galaxy S6 Active “for $0 down on AT&T Next for $23.17 with 30 device payments on Next SM 243, $28.96 per month at 24 payments on Next 18, or $34.75 per month at 20 payments on Next 12.
Check out the Galaxy S6 Active promo video below to see the device in action.