Pebble is one of a small pool of companies which has emerged in recent years and which makes an admirable habit of interacting directly with its fans, so that in can better understand user needs and cater to them by improving its products. That’s pretty much exactly what has happened with the new Pebble Time firmware update; Pebble took to its blog to announce the new version 3.2 firmware as “bigger, brighter, awesome-er”.
The post explained that this update has been developed with “feedback from the community,” and went into detail about which commonly received feature requests or changes Pebble’s devs had paid attention to for the new firmware. As well as updating the on-device firmware for the Pebble Time smartwatch, this update includes a new version of the Android application for pairing and using cross-compatible features with your Android phone.
As a side note, if you’re a Pebble Time owner you can update the device by going to “Menu> Support> Update Your Pebble” inside the iOS or Android app.
The new update allows you to customise the duration and intensity of the Pebble Time’s backlight, meaning you can tailor exactly how bright it’ll get and how long it’ll stay in an “awake” state so you can read what’s on the display.
Users can also customise the vibration intensity for notifications, and one much-requested feature is the ability to change the font size throughout the device’s interface.
Pebble also revealed that the older Pebble and Pebble Steel models would be getting updated firmware with a bunch of these new features too “later this year,” although there is no precise timeline right now. The post simply assured that it is a “leading priority for the software team.”
Pebble Time Firmware 3.2 Release Notes
- New Backlight settings: Adjust intensity and time-out duration.
- New Font Size settings: Adjust the displayed font size in notifications, layouts, and other areas of the system.
- New Vibration settings: Adjust the vibration strength for notifications, incoming calls, alerts, etc. Default vibration setting is less strong than the previous default.
- Music (Android): Added support for most music players (e.g. Pandora, Spotify, Songza), improved display of track metadata, play/pause detection (app now displays separate pause and play icons to match current playback status).
- Notifications: A collection of improvements and fixes to enhance the notifications experience, including a new Dismiss All action.
- Bug fixes and stability improvements.
- To update: Select Menu » Support » Update Your Pebble within the Pebble Time app for iOS or Android.
Pebble Time App for Android 3.2.0 Release Notes
- NEW: Search bar to find saved apps and watchfaces in your My Pebble menu.
- NEW: Notification preferences are now preserved after updating the Android app to a new version.
- IMPROVED: Support for setting up long canned replies to notifications.
- Bug fixes and stability improvements to version 3.1.1.
- Download 3.2.0 from the Google Play Store.