Samsung Galaxy S22 Series: The Ultimate Buyer’s Guide 
Here’s everything you need to know about the Samsung Galaxy S22 series in one post, including the the phones’ specs, main differences, pricing, and new features and updates…
Unveiled on February 9, 2022, and hitting the shelves just a few weeks later on February 25, the Samsung Galaxy S22 Series was one of the most talked about releases of the year next to, of course, Apple’s iPhone 13 series.
The lineup consists of three meticulously crafted devices: the Galaxy S22, Galaxy S22 Plus, and the show-stopping Galaxy S22 Ultra.
Each model offers a unique blend of features tailored to a range of needs and budgets. From the compact 6.1-inch display of the Galaxy S22 to the expansive 6.8-inch screen on the Galaxy S22 Ultra, there’s something for everyone.
And let’s not forget the Ultra’s exclusive perks: an S Pen, a mammoth 5000 mAh battery, 12 GB of RAM, and a whopping 1024 GB of storage.
Whether you’re a casual user, a tech enthusiast, or a professional seeking top-tier features, our comprehensive article aims to be your definitive guide for understanding the ins and outs of the Samsung Galaxy S22 Series.
By the end, you’ll know about all of the models, how they’re different, which is best overall, and which is the right model for your specific needs. Let’s do this…
Samsung Galaxy S22 Series Overview
The Samsung Galaxy S22 series picked up where the Galaxy S21, arguably not one of Samsung’s finest moments, left off. It fixed plenty of the issues found on the Galaxy S21 series models, improved the battery performance, and seriously upped the ante in the camera department.
If you don’t use iPhone, Samsung’s Galaxy S22 series – at least in 2022 – was the phone you got. But now that it is 2023 and the Galaxy S23 series is available, is a Galaxy S22 phone still worth it? I’d argue, yes – and the reasons for this will become clear as you read on.
The main reason these phones are still so good is because they are now all significantly cheaper, thanks to the fact they’re no longer the latest and greatest. You’ll pay around the same for the Galaxy S22 Ultra as you would for a base model Galaxy S23 Plus.
And that, if you’re the type of person that prefers value for money to having the latest, bleeding-edge specs, makes these phones all the more compelling.
Galaxy S22: The Accessible Innovator
- Display: 6.1-inch
- Starting Price: $799
- Available Colors: Green, Pink Gold, Phantom Black, Phantom White
The Galaxy S22 serves as the entry point into this illustrious series, but don’t let the term “entry point” fool you. With a 6.1-inch display that offers crisp visuals and a 4nm processor that ensures smooth performance, this device is anything but basic.
It’s the perfect choice for those who want a high-quality smartphone experience without the premium price tag. The lower price tag makes it accessible, and the variety of colors—Green, Pink Gold, Phantom Black, and Phantom White—means more freedom to express your personal style.
Who It’s For: Budget-conscious consumers who don’t want to compromise on quality and performance.
Galaxy S22 Plus: The All-Rounder
- Display: 6.6-inch
- Starting Price: $999
- Available Colors: Green, Pink Gold, Phantom Black, Phantom White
The Galaxy S22 Plus takes everything you love about the Galaxy S22 and amplifies it. With a larger 6.6-inch display, this model provides more screen real estate for your multimedia needs.
Like its smaller sibling, it also boasts a 4nm processor, ensuring that the device can handle anything from everyday tasks to more demanding applications.
Starting at $999, it’s designed for tech enthusiasts who desire a bit more from their smartphone, both in terms of features and performance. The available colors remain consistent with the Galaxy S22, offering a range of options to suit your aesthetic preferences.
Who It’s For: Tech enthusiasts looking for a balanced blend of features without breaking the bank.
Galaxy S22 Ultra: The Pinnacle of Smartphone Technology
- Display: 6.8-inch
- Starting Price: $1,199
- Available Colors: Burgundy, Green, Phantom Black, Phantom White
- Special Features: S Pen, 5000 mAh battery, 12 GB RAM, 1024 GB storage, Exynos 2200 chipset, 8K camera
The Galaxy S22 Ultra is the crown jewel of the series, designed for those who accept no compromises. This model is a technological marvel, featuring a massive 6.8-inch display that’s perfect for everything from professional tasks to high-end gaming.
But the display is just the tip of the iceberg. The Ultra comes with a built-in S Pen, making it an ideal choice for professionals who require precision in their work. With a 5000 mAh battery, 12 GB of RAM, and a staggering 1024 GB of storage, this device is a powerhouse.
Add in the Exynos 2200 chipset and an 8K camera, and you have a smartphone that’s in a league of its own. Starting at $1,199 when it first came out, the Galaxy S22 Ultra is now significantly cheaper (as you can see inside our updated Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra review)
The available colors for this model include Burgundy, Green, Phantom Black, and Phantom White, each adding an extra layer of sophistication to an already premium device.
Who It’s For: Power users and professionals who demand the best of the best, from battery life to camera capabilities.
Samsung Galaxy S22 Series Specs Comparison Table
How do the specs for each model in the Samsung Galaxy S22 series compare? There’s plenty of similarities across the models with core features and hardware, but the Galaxy S22+ and Galaxy S22 Ultra do have plenty of additional extras available, as you can see in the table below…
|Galaxy S22||Galaxy S22+||Galaxy S22 Ultra|
|Display||6.1-inch AMOLED 2X; 1,080 x 2,340pixelsWeight: 6 oz||6.6-inch AMOLED 2X; 1,080 x 2,340pixelsWeight: 7 oz||6.8-inch AMOLED 2X; 1,440 x 3,088 pixelsWeight: 8 oz|
|Performance||Processor: Snapdragon 8 gen 1||Processor: Snapdragon 8 gen 1||Processor: Snapdragon 8 gen 1|
|Storage/RAM||8GB RAM + 128GB; 8GB RAM + 256GB||8GB RAM + 128GB; 8GB RAM + 256GB||8GB + 128GB; 12GB + 256GB; 12GB + 512GB; 12GB + 1TB|
|Camera||50MP (wide), 12MP (ultrawide), 10MP (telephoto)Front camera: 40MP||50MP (wide), 12MP (ultrawide), 10MP (telephoto)Front camera: 40MP||108MP (wide), 12MP (ultrawide) 10MP (telephoto) 10MP (telephoto)Front camera: 40MP|
|Battery||3,700 mAh (25W wired charging)||4,500 mAh (45W wired charging)||5,000 mAh (45W wired charger)|
|Features||5G (mmw/Sub6), 25W wired charging, 15W wireless charging, 3x optical zoom, 30x Space Zoom||5G (mmw/Sub6), 120Hz, 45W wired charging, 15W wireless charging, 3x optical zoom, 30x Space Zoom||5G (mmw/Sub6), bundled S Pen, 100x Space Zoom, 10x optical zoom, 47W charging support, UWB|
|Sound||Stereo speakers: Surround sound with Dolby Atmos technology (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus included.)Ultra high-quality audio playbackUHQ 32-bit & DSD64/128 supportPCM: Up to 32 bits, DSD: DSD64/128||Stereo speakers: Surround sound with Dolby Atmos technology (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus included.)Ultra high-quality audio playbackUHQ 32-bit & DSD64/128 supportPCM: Up to 32 bits, DSD: DSD64/128||Stereo speakers: Surround sound with Dolby Atmos technology (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus included.)Ultra high-quality audio playbackUHQ 32-bit & DSD64/128 supportPCM: Up to 32 bits, DSD: DSD64/128|
Display Quality and Sizes
The display is often a pivotal factor when choosing a smartphone, affecting everything from media consumption to general usability.
The Samsung Galaxy S22 series offers a range of options, with three different models featuring varying display sizes and resolutions. This section aims to break down these differences in detail.
Samsung Galaxy S22
- Display Size: The Galaxy S22 features a 6.1-inch display, making it the most compact option in the series.
- Display Type: The phone uses an AMOLED 2X display, which is a type of OLED display with twice the resolution of standard AMOLED screens, offering brighter and more vibrant colors.
- Resolution: The resolution stands at 1,080 x 2,340 pixels.
- Pixel Density: With approximately 422 pixels per inch (PPI), the display offers high-definition clarity.
- Weight: The device weighs 6 oz.
The Galaxy S22 is ideal for users who prefer a more compact device without sacrificing display quality. Its pixel density ensures crisp and clear visuals.
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
- Display Size: The Galaxy S22 Plus offers a slightly larger 6.6-inch display.
- Display Type: Like the S22, it also features an AMOLED 2X display for enhanced color and brightness.
- Resolution: The resolution is identical to the S22 at 1,080 x 2,340 pixels.
- Pixel Density: The pixel density is approximately 399 PPI, slightly lower than the S22 due to the larger screen size.
- Weight: The device weighs 7 oz.
The Galaxy S22 Plus offers a balanced experience, providing a larger screen without a significant increase in device weight or decrease in pixel density.
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
- Display Size: The Galaxy S22 Ultra boasts the largest display in the series at 6.8 inches.
- Display Type: It also utilizes an AMOLED 2X display but with a higher resolution, offering the best visual experience among the three models.
- Resolution: The resolution is significantly higher at 1,440 x 3,088 pixels.
- Pixel Density: With a pixel density of approximately 495 PPI, the Ultra offers the crispest and most detailed visuals.
- Weight: The device weighs 8 oz, making it the heaviest in the series.
The Galaxy S22 Ultra is the go-to option for users who prioritize high-resolution displays for media consumption or productivity. It offers the highest pixel density but comes at the cost of increased weight.
Processor and Performance
The Samsung Galaxy S22 series is available with two different chipsets: Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 and Samsung’s proprietary Exynos 2200. Both chipsets are high-performance, but they differ in their configurations and regional availability.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1
- Manufacturer: Qualcomm
- 1x Cortex-X2 running at 3GHz
- 3x Cortex-A710 running at 2.5GHz
- 4x Cortex-A510 running at 1.8GHz
- Availability: Predominantly found in the U.S. and other regions outside Europe.
Samsung Exynos 2200
- Manufacturer: Samsung
- 1x Cortex-X2 running at 2.8GHz
- 3x Cortex-A710 running at 2.6GHz
- 4x Cortex-A510 running at 2.0GHz
- Availability: Mainly sold in the UK and the rest of Europe.
The chipset in your Galaxy S22 Ultra will largely depend on your geographical location. For instance, if you’re in the UK or elsewhere in Europe, you’re more likely to encounter the Exynos 2200 version. Conversely, the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 variant is more common in the U.S. and other parts of the world.
Storage and RAM
- Samsung Galaxy S22 & S22 Plus Storage/RAM: 8GB RAM + 128GB; 8GB RAM + 256GB
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra Storage/RAM: Options range from 8GB + 128GB to 12GB + 1TB
Storage and RAM are critical factors that influence a smartphone’s performance and usability. The Samsung Galaxy S22 series offers a variety of configurations to cater to different user needs. This section will compare and contrast the available options.
Here’s how it all breaks down for each model in the series:
Samsung Galaxy S22 & S22 Plus
- 8GB RAM + 128GB Storage
- 8GB RAM + 256GB Storage
- Uniformity: Both the S22 and S22 Plus offer the same storage and RAM configurations.
- Flexibility: Two options provide a balance between performance (RAM) and storage space.
- Target Audience: Ideal for average users who require a decent amount of storage and multitasking capabilities.
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
- 8GB RAM + 128GB Storage
- 12GB RAM + 256GB Storage
- 12GB RAM + 512GB Storage
- 12GB RAM + 1TB Storage
- Variety: The Ultra offers a broader range of configurations, including a high-end option with up to 1TB of storage.
- Performance: With up to 12GB of RAM, the Ultra is designed for power users who require robust multitasking and storage capabilities.
- Target Audience: Suitable for professionals, content creators, and tech enthusiasts who demand top-tier performance and storage.
Comparison & Contrast
- Common Ground: The base model of the Ultra shares the same 8GB RAM + 128GB storage configuration as the S22 and S22 Plus.
- Diversity: The Ultra diverges with its higher-end options, providing more RAM and significantly more storage.
- User Focus: While the S22 and S22 Plus cater to general users, the Ultra aims to meet the needs of power users with its expansive options.
Camera Specifications and Features
Samsung Galaxy S22 & S22 Plus
- Rear Camera: 50MP (wide), 12MP (ultrawide), 10MP (telephoto)
- Front Camera: 40MP
The camera setup on this device is nothing short of impressive, offering versatility for all your photography needs. The primary lens comes with a 50MP sensor, serving as your go-to for most photographic scenarios.
Whether you’re capturing sweeping landscapes, intimate portraits, or anything in between, this lens delivers high levels of detail.
One of its standout features is the high megapixel count, which allows for incredibly clear and detailed images. This is especially useful when you want to zoom in on a particular part of the image or crop it without sacrificing quality.
For those moments when you want to capture more of the scene, the 12MP ultrawide lens comes into play. While it offers a lower resolution compared to the primary lens, it’s optimized for a broader field of view.
This makes it ideal for expansive landscapes, architectural shots, or large group photos where you can’t step back to fit everything into the frame.
It adds a creative dimension to your photography, allowing you to capture scenes in a way that a standard lens simply can’t.
The 10MP telephoto lens is your go-to for zoom photography. Designed to capture distant subjects, this lens provides a sufficient resolution for most zoomed-in shots.
Whether you’re photographing wildlife from a distance or capturing the action at a sports event, this lens ensures you don’t lose much in terms of image quality.
Last but not least, the front camera is equipped with a 40MP sensor, primarily designed for selfies and video calls. But it’s not just any selfie camera; the high resolution ensures that your selfies are sharp, detailed, and full of life.
It captures finer details like skin texture and hair with remarkable clarity. Plus, the high megapixel count means you can crop or digitally zoom your selfies without losing much quality.
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
- Rear Camera: 108MP (wide), 12MP (ultrawide), two 10MP (telephoto)
- Front Camera: 40MP
The camera system on this device is a powerhouse, designed to meet the needs of even the most demanding photography enthusiasts. Leading the pack is the 108MP wide lens, which serves as the primary camera.
This lens is a marvel in high-resolution photography, capturing an extraordinary level of detail in every shot. Whether you’re shooting landscapes, portraits, or anything that requires fine detail, this lens has you covered.
The 108MP sensor ensures that your images are not just big, but also incredibly clear, allowing for extensive cropping and zooming without any loss of quality.
Complementing the primary lens is a 12MP ultrawide lens, designed for those moments when you need to capture more of the scene in front of you.
While the resolution is lower than the primary lens, it’s optimized to provide a broad field of view. This lens is perfect for capturing wide landscapes, architectural elements, or any situation where you want to capture a larger scene without stepping back.
Unique to this model are two 10MP telephoto lenses, offering even more versatility in capturing distant subjects.
Whether you’re zooming in on wildlife or capturing the intricate details of a distant landmark, these lenses provide enough resolution to keep your subjects in focus and well-defined.
Having two telephoto lenses allows for more advanced photography techniques, such as depth sensing and enhanced zoom capabilities.
The front camera is no slouch either, featuring a 40MP sensor that ensures your selfies and video calls are of the highest quality.
This high-resolution sensor captures sharp and detailed images, making your selfies look more vibrant and lifelike. It’s also excellent for capturing finer details, such as skin texture and hair, and allows for cropping and digital zooming without losing image quality.
Need more information? Check out this Samsung Camera Comparison Guide – it covers all of the brand’s current models and their camera specs.
Battery Life and Charging Capabilities
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Battery: 3,700 mAh with 25W wired charging
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus Battery: 4,500 mAh with 45W wired charging
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra Battery: 5,000 mAh with 45W wired charging
The Galaxy S22 series runs on One UI 5.1, the latest version of Samsung’s user interface. This UI is designed to offer a seamless and intuitive user experience, making it easier to navigate through the phone’s various features and settings.
Unique Software Enhancements
One UI 5.1 comes packed with a range of new features and upgrades that enhance the user experience:
- Lock Screen Customization: Personalize your lock screen to better reflect your style.
- More Wallpaper Choices: A broader selection of wallpapers to suit your aesthetic.
- Easy Recognition with Call Background: Customize your call background for easier recognition.
- Enhanced Color Palette: More color options for UI customization.
- Easier Color Tone Change for Selfies: Simplifies the process of adjusting the color tone in your selfies.
- Easy Filter Selection: Streamlined filter options for your photos.
- Accessibility Button Customization: Tailor the accessibility settings to meet your specific needs.
- Useful Actions on Each Corner of the Screen: Quick actions are now more accessible.
- Settings Suggestions: The UI now suggests settings based on your usage patterns.
- In-App Collaboration for Samsung Notes: Collaborate within the Samsung Notes app.
- Smart Widget Feature: Widgets are now smarter and more responsive.
- Updates to the Gallery and Photo Editor: Enhanced features for sorting and editing your photos.
- S Pen Enhancements: For the S22 Ultra, the S Pen now has additional features and improved responsiveness.
Bloatware and Customization Options
While Samsung phones often come with pre-installed apps, known as bloatware, One UI 5.1 offers a higher degree of customization that allows you to disable or remove unwanted apps. This gives you more control over your device, enabling you to set it up in a way that best suits your needs and preferences.
The S-Pen is exclusively compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, adding a layer of functionality that sets it apart from the other models in the series.
The S-Pen allows for precise control, whether you’re taking notes, drawing, or navigating through the device. Enhancements in One UI 5.1 further optimize the S-Pen experience, making it more responsive and feature-rich.
All models in the Galaxy S22 series come with 5G capabilities, supporting both mmWave and Sub6 frequencies. This ensures that you can take advantage of the fastest mobile data speeds available, whether you’re streaming content, gaming, or using cloud-based applications.
The Galaxy S22 series offers robust security features, including both fingerprint and facial recognition technologies.
These biometric options provide quick and secure ways to unlock your device, authenticate payments, or access secure apps.
The fingerprint sensor is typically embedded in the display for a seamless experience, while facial recognition uses advanced algorithms to ensure accurate identification.
Notable Features of The Galaxy S22 Series
- Smart Widget Feature: One UI 5.1 introduces a Smart Widget feature that makes widgets more responsive and useful.
- In-App Collaboration for Samsung Notes: This feature allows for real-time collaboration within the Samsung Notes app, ideal for work or study groups.
- 100x Space Zoom: Exclusive to the Galaxy S22 Ultra, this feature allows for extreme zoom capabilities, making it a standout in mobile photography.
- UWB (Ultra-Wideband): Available in the Galaxy S22 Ultra, UWB technology enables precise spatial awareness for features like device tracking and secure data transfer.
- Samsung Galaxy S22 vs S21: What’s New?
- Samsung Galaxy S22 vs iPhone 13: A Head-to-Head Battle
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra vs Samsung Galaxy S22: Which to Choose?
Best Cases for the Galaxy S22 Series
Protecting your investment is crucial, and a high-quality case can make all the difference. Whether you prefer a rugged design for heavy-duty protection or a slim, clear case to showcase the phone’s aesthetics, there are options to suit every need. Popular brands like OtterBox, Spigen, and Samsung’s own line of cases offer a variety of styles and levels of protection.
Screen Protectors and Their Importance
Given the high-resolution displays of the Galaxy S22 series, and the fact that they’re made from extremely high-end AMOLED materials, maintaining the screen’s clarity and responsiveness is essential.
Screen protectors not only guard against scratches and minor impacts but also often come with anti-glare and fingerprint-resistant coatings.
Brands like ZAGG and amFilm are known for their high-quality screen protectors.
Wireless charging is a convenient feature supported by the Galaxy S22 series. Brands like Anker and Samsung offer wireless chargers that are fast, efficient, and compatible with these devices.
For an optimal audio experience, consider pairing your Galaxy S22 with wireless earbuds. Samsung’s Galaxy Buds are a natural choice for seamless integration, but other options like the Sony WF-1000XM4 and Apple AirPods Pro also offer excellent sound quality and features.
Pricing Structure for Each Model
The Galaxy S22 series offers a range of pricing options to suit different budgets:
- Samsung Galaxy S22: Starting at $799
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus: Starting at $999
- Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra: Starting at $1,199
It’s worth noting that these are the starting prices, and costs may vary based on storage options, carrier deals, or any added accessories.
Where To Buy The Galaxy S22 Series
The Galaxy S22 series is widely available through various channels, although because it is no longer current many carriers have now dropped the series. You can, of course, pick any of the models up via refurbished retailers like Gazelle, Amazon, and REBOXED:
- Samsung’s Official Website: Buying directly from Samsung allows you to customize your device and take advantage of any trade-in deals.
- Carrier Stores: Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and other carriers offer the Galaxy S22 series, often with installment plans.
- Retailers: Stores like Best Buy, Amazon, and B&H Photo also carry the Galaxy S22 series, offering their own set of deals and warranties.
Any Promotions or Deals Currently Available
Promotions and deals can vary by location and retailer, but common offers include:
- Trade-In Deals: Samsung and carriers often offer significant discounts when you trade in an older device.
- Bundle Offers: Some retailers offer bundle deals that include accessories like cases, screen protectors, or wireless chargers at a discounted price.
- Limited-Time Promotions: Keep an eye out for seasonal or event-based promotions, such as Black Friday deals or back-to-school specials, for potential savings.
Final Thoughts and Recommendations
We’ve covered a lot of ground in the buyer’s guide, so before we conclude let’s now go other some of the key points you need to keep in mind when buying a Samsung Galaxy S22 series phone, including the PROS and CONS of each model, their unique features, and how each model differs.
- Versatile Camera Setup: With options ranging from high-resolution wide lenses to ultrawide and telephoto lenses, the camera system is a significant strength.
- Performance: Powered by the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 processor, these phones offer robust performance for gaming, multitasking, and more.
- 5G Capabilities: All models are 5G-ready, ensuring fast data speeds.
- Customizable UI: One UI 5.1 offers a highly customizable user experience with numerous unique features.
- Price: While the prices have dropped, the initial cost for the higher-end models can still be a barrier for some.
- Battery Life: While generally long-lasting, heavy usage can drain the battery relatively quickly, especially on models with higher display resolutions.
Who Should Consider Buying These Phones
Given the price drop following the release of the Galaxy S23 series, the Galaxy S22 series offers excellent value for those on a tighter budget. It’s ideal for:
- Photography Enthusiasts: The camera capabilities are still top-notch.
- Performance Seekers: Those who want a high-performing device without the latest price tag.
- 5G Users: Anyone looking to take advantage of 5G without breaking the bank.
Things To Consider Before Purchasing
If you’re in the market for a high-quality smartphone that offers excellent value for the price, the Galaxy S22 series is worth considering, especially now that it’s more budget-friendly. However, keep the following in mind:
- Check for Promotions: Given that they’re no longer the latest models, look for promotions or bundle deals.
- Compare with Galaxy S23: If you’re not on a tight budget, compare the features with the newer Galaxy S23 series to see if the upgrades are worth the extra cost for you.