The iPhone 8 Plus is Apple’s last phablet flagship still on sale that has big bezels. Though the iPhone 8 Plus is two years old, it’s still a good choice for some. It also competes against a ton of other older Android phablets–the least of not which is the still-popular OnePlus 5.
Please Note: both of these phones are now rather old; the iPhone 11 is Apple’s latest model, while OnePlus is now KILLING it with its OnePlus 7T range that is currently topping our #1 Android Phone Guide.
From a cursory look of things, the two phones are very similar: they both have 5.5in displays with the same resolution and big, honking “forehead” and “chin” bezels. But there are several differences between the devices. So let’s take a look to find out how each compares.
OnePlus 5 vs iPhone 8 Plus Quick Comparison
- iPhone 8 Plus – The iPhone 8 Plus has a 5.5in display and features Apple’s original biometric authentication system called Touch ID, which uses your fingerprint instead of your face to unlock your phone. Its industrial design features a glass and aluminium body and comes in a wide range of three color options.
- OnePlus 5 – The OnePlus 5 comes with a 5.5in display. It features a biometric authentication system that uses your fingerprint. Its anodized aluminum body comes in three different color options.
Winner? OnePlus 5 – Both phones are relatively sleek with a solid build, but the OnePlus 5 comes in both thinner and 25% lighter than the iPhone 8 Plus.
- iPhone 8 Plus – The iPhone 8 Plus features an LCD display that is 5.5in and has a 1920 x 1080-pixel resolution at 401ppi.
- OnePlus 5 – The OnePlus 5 features an LCD display that is 5.5in and has a 1920 x 1080-pixel resolution at 401ppi.
Winner? Draw – Both also have nearly identical displays. Each is 5.5 inches with a 1920×1080 resolution at 401ppi.
- iPhone 8 Plus – the iPhone 8 Plus features the A11 chipset.
- OnePlus 5 – the OnePlus 5 features the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 chipset.
Winner? iPhone 8 Plus – The A11 is over twice as fast as the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835.
- iPhone 8 Plus – The iPhone 8 Plus features a 7MP front-facing camera. On the rear camera, you get a dual 12MP wide and telephoto camera.
- OnePlus 5 – The OnePlus 5’s front camera is an astounding 16MP. That’s over double the megapixels found in the iPhone 8 Plus’s front camera. When you get to the rear cameras, both feature dual-lens systems, but the OnePlus 5’s dual-lens system offers a 16MP wide-angle lens and 20 MP telephoto lens.
Winner? OnePlus 5 – OnePlus really wanted to pack the best cameras into their device that they could, and users will see the difference.
- iPhone 8 Plus – 64GB or 128GB
- OnePlus 5 – 64GB or 128GB
- iPhone 8 Plus – The iPhone 8 Plus’s battery will get you about 14 hours of battery life with mixed usage. It also features wireless charging.
- OnePlus 5 – The OnePlus 5’s battery will get you about 14 hours of battery life with mixed usage. It also features wireless charging.
Winner? Draw – Both phones will get you about the same amount of battery life.
- iPhone 8 Plus – The 5.5in iPhone 8 Plus costs cost £579 (64GB) and £629 (128GB).
- OnePlus 5 – The 5.8in OnePlus 5 costs £299 (64GB) or £399 (128GB).
At up to almost £300 cheaper than the iPhone 8 Plus, it’s INSANELY hard not to see just how great of a deal the OnePlus 5 is.
The price is ridiculous considering the screens are nearly identical, it has two to almost three times the RAM (depending on model) and offers much higher megapixel lenses in its dual-lens setup. I mean, if you’re an iPhone fan, there’s only one phone to get here. But if you’re not married to Android or iOS, at the price it’s being offered for, the OnePlus 5 is hard to say no to.
Another option worth considering, however, is picking up a newer refurbished iPhone – something like the iPhone X or iPhone XS, which you can get for 40% less than retail via Gazelle, our #1 pick for refurbished iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, and iMacs.
OnePlus 5 vs iPhone 8 Plus: Specs
Here are the specs for the OnePlus 5:
- Display: 5.5in display with a 1920×1080 resolution at 401ppi
- Dimensions: 152.7mm x 74.7 mm x 7.25mm
- Weight: 153 grams
- Storage: 64 or 128GB
- Memory: 6 GB or 8GB RAM
- Processors: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835
- Front camera: 16 MP
- Rear camera: Dual camera 16 MP wide-angle lens and 20 MP telephoto lens.
- Battery: 3300 mAh
And here are the specs for the iPhone 8 Plus:
- Display: 5.5in LCD Retina HD display with a 1920 x 1080-pixel resolution at 401ppi
- Dimensions: 158.4mm x 78.1mm x 7.5mm
- Weight: 202 grams
- Storage: 64 or 128GB
- Processors: A11 Bionic chip with Neural Engine
- Front camera: 7MP FaceTime HD camera with 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps
- Rear camera: Dual 12MP Wide and Telephoto cameras; 4K video
- Battery: Up to 14 hours (video playback)
- Other: Touch ID, NFC, wireless charging, IP67 waterproof (1m)