Apple’s newest iPhone is the iPhone 11. Apple introduced the iPhone along with a “Pro” variant, which has better cameras and OLED screens. However, the regular iPhone 11 is sure to appeal to people too, who want a low price point and a dual-lens camera.
But the iPhone 11 won’t be Apple’s most entry-level model. The company is also keeping its two-year-old iPhone 8 on sale. So how do the two compare? Let’s take a look.
iPhone 11 vs iPhone 8 Quick Comparison
- iPhone 11 – The iPhone 11 has the same 6.1in display of the iPhone XR and features Apple’s biometric authentication system called Face ID. Its industrial design features a glass and aluminium body and comes in a wide range of six color options, including a new green model.
- iPhone 8 – The iPhone 8 has a 4.7in display and features Apple’s original biometric authentication system called Touch ID, which uses your fingerprint instead of your face to unlock your phone. Its industrial design features a glass and aluminium body and comes in a wide range of three color options.
Winner? iPhone 11 – The iPhone 11 blows the iPhone 8 out of the water with its modern design.
- iPhone 11 – The iPhone 11 features an edge-to-edge LCD display that is 6.1in and has a 1792 x 828-pixel resolution at 326ppi.
- iPhone 8 – The iPhone 8 features an LCD display that is 4.7 and has a 1334 x 750-pixel resolution at 326ppi.
Winner? iPhone 11 – That edge-to-edge display can’t be beat.
- iPhone 11 – the iPhone 11 features the A13 chipset. This A13 is a 7nm chip with 6 cores, which is absolutely INSANE.
- iPhone 8 – the iPhone 8 features the two-year-old A11 chipset, which is about 40% slower than the A13.
Winner? iPhone 11 – The A13 is 40% faster than the A11.
- iPhone 11 – The iPhone 11 features a 12MP front-facing camera. But on the rear camera you get a dual-lens 12MP rear camera complete with a wide-angle and telephoto lens and dual optical zoom. It also supports advanced photo features like portrait photography.
- iPhone 8 – The iPhone XR features a 7MP front-facing camera. On the rear camera you get a single-lens 12MP camera complete with a wide-angle lens.
Winner? iPhone 11 – That dual-lens puts the single-lens to shame.
- iPhone 11 – 64GB, 128GB, or 256GB
- iPhone 8 – 64GB or 128GB
- iPhone 11 – The iPhone 11 Pro’s battery will get you about 18 hours of battery life with mixed usage. It also features wireless charging.
- iPhone 8 – The iPhone 8’s battery will get you about 13 hours of battery life with mixed usage. It also features wireless charging.
Winner? iPhone 11 – You get an extra five hours of battery life.
- iPhone 11 – The 6.1in iPhone 11 costs £729 (64GB) and £779 (128GB) and £879 (256GB).
- iPhone 8 – The 4.7in iPhone 8 costs cost £479 (64GB) and £529 (128GB).
The winner here is the iPhone 11–by a long shot. It features that improved dual-lens rear camera system with a 12MP wide-angle and telephoto lenses, optical image stabilisation, optical zoom, and 4K video recording. It also features support for improved night photography–not to mention a better 12MP front camera.
Combine that with the A13 chips in the iPhone 11, which is 40% faster than that in the iPhone 8 and the extra five hours of battery life, the iPhone 11 beats the iPhone 8 hands down. That’s not even to mention the design of the iPhone 8 looks archaic compared to the all-screen design of the iPhone 11.
Another option worth considering, however, is picking up a newer
iPhone 11 vs iPhone 8: Specs
Here are the specs for the iPhone 11:
- Display: 6.1in LCD Liquid Retina display with a 1792 x 828-pixel resolution at 326ppi
- Dimensions: 150.9mm x 75.7mm x 8.3mm
- Weight: 194 grams
- Storage: 64, 128, or 256GB
- Processors: A13 Bionic chip with third-generation Neural Engine
- Front camera: 12 MP TrueDepth camera with 4K video recording at up to 60 fps
- Rear camera: Dual 12MP Ultra Wide and Wide cameras with Night mode; 4K video
- Battery: Up to 18 hours (video playback)
- Other: Face ID, NFC, wireless charging, IP68 waterproof (2m)
And here’s the specs for the iPhone 8:
- Display: 4.7in LCD Retina HD display with a 1334 x 750-pixel resolution at 326ppi
- Dimensions: 138.4mm x 67.3mm x 7.3mm
- Weight: 148 grams
- Storage: 64 or 128GB
- Processors: A11 Bionic chip with Neural Engine
- Front camera: 7MP FaceTime HD camera with 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps
- Rear camera: Single 12MP Wide camera; 4K video
- Battery: Up to 13 hours (video playback)
- Other: Touch ID, NFC, wireless charging, IP67 waterproof (1m)
Apple expert and novelist, Michael Grothaus has been covering tech on KnowYourMobile for the best part of 10 years. Prior to this, he worked at Apple. And before that, he was a film journalist. Michael is a published author; his book Epiphany Jones was voted as one of the best novels about Hollywood by Entertainment Weekly. Michael is also a writer at other publications including VICE and Fast Company.