Apple’s newest flagship phones have just been announced. This year the flagship will be known as the iPhone 11. However, there will be THREE models of the new iPhone–the iPhone 11, the iPhone 11 Pro, and the iPhone 11 Pro Max.
The iPhone 11 is taking the place of the iPhone XR and the iPhone 11 Pro series is taking the place of the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max. But Apple is also leaving the iPhone 8 on sale as a cheaper low-cost option. Let’s take a look at how the iPhone 8 compares to the iPhone 11 Pro Max.
iPhone 11 Pro Max vs iPhone 8 Quick Comparison
- iPhone 8 – The iPhone 8 has a 4.7in display and features Apple’s original biometric authentication system called Touch ID, which uses your fingerprint instead of your face to unlock your phone. Its industrial design features a glass and aluminium body and comes in a wide range of three color options.
- iPhone 11 Pro Max – The iPhone 11 Pro Max comes with a 6.5in OLED display. It features Apple’s biometric authentication system called Face ID. The textured matte glass and stainless steel design make it an absolutely gorgeous phone. And this year their glass back will feature a matte finish.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro Max – The iPhone 11 Pro Max with its matte glass back and steel frame steals the show.
- iPhone 8 – The iPhone 8 features an LCD display that is 4.7 and has a 1334 x 750-pixel resolution at 326ppi.
- iPhone 11 Pro Max – The iPhone 11 Pro features an edge-to-edge OLED display that is 6.5in and has a 2688 x 1242-pixel resolution at 458ppi.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro Max – Without a doubt, the iPhone 11 Pro Max wins the day here thanks to its OLED display.
- iPhone 8 – the iPhone 8 features the two-year-old A11 chipset, which is about 40% slower than the A13.
- iPhone 11 Pro Max – the iPhone 11 Pro Max features the blazing A13 chipset.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro Max – The A13 is 40% faster than the A11.
- iPhone 8 – The iPhone XR features a 7MP front-facing camera. On the rear camera you get a single-lens 12MP camera complete with a wide-angle lens.
- iPhone 11 Pro Max – The iPhone 11 Pro Max features a 12MP front-facing camera. But the rear camera is a triple-lens system with a 12MP wide-angle, ultra wide-angle, and telephoto lens, triple optical image stabilisation, optical zoom, and 4K video recording. It too also supports advanced photo features like portrait photography and night mode.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro Max – That triple-lens puts the single lens to shame.
- iPhone 8 – 64GB or 128GB
- iPhone 11 Pro Max – 64GB, 256GB, or 512GB
- iPhone 8 – The iPhone 8’s battery will get you about 13 hours of battery life with mixed usage. It also features wireless charging.
- iPhone 11 Pro Max – The iPhone 11 Pro’s battery will get you about 20 hours of battery life with mixed usage. It also features wireless charging.
Winner? iPhone 11 Pro Max – You get an extra seven hours of battery life.
- iPhone 8 – The 4.7in iPhone 8 costs cost £479 (64GB) and £529 (128GB).
- iPhone 11 Pro Max – The 6.5in iPhone 11 Pro Max will cost £1149 (64GB) and £1299 (256GB) and £1499 (512GB).
Not even a contest. 2019’s iPhone 11 Pro Max DESTROYS the iPhone 8 in every metric. It features that sweet triple lens rear camera system with a 12MP wide-angle, ultra wide-angle, and telephoto lenses, triple optical image stabilisation, optical zoom, and 4K video recording. There’s just no way the single-lens system on the iPhone 8 can compete.
The iPhone 11 Pro Max also features an OLED display, versus the iPhone 8’s LCD display. This means your screen is just going to look better on the 11 Pro Max. The iPhone 11 Pro Max is also 40% faster than the XR thanks to its A13 processor. The iPhone 11 Pro Max wins thanks to it camera, display, and better industrial design. That’s not even to mention the design of the iPhone 8 looks archaic compared to the all-screen design of the iPhone 11.
Another option worth considering, however, is picking up a newer
iPhone 11 Pro Max vs iPhone 8: Specs
Here are the specs for the iPhone 11 Pro Max:
- Display: 6.5-inch OLED Super Retina XDR display with a 2688 x 1242-pixel resolution at 458ppi
- Dimensions: 158.09mm x 77.8mm x 8.1mm
- Weight: 226 grams
- Storage: 64, 256, or 512GB
- Processors: A13 Bionic chip with third-generation Neural Engine
- Front camera: 12 MP TrueDepth camera with 4K video recording at up to 60 fps
- Rear camera: Triple 12MP Ultra Wide, Wide and Telephoto cameras with Night mode; 4K video
- Battery: Up to 20 hours (video playback)
- Other: Face ID, NFC, wireless charging, IP68 waterproof (4m)
And here’s the specs for the iPhone 8:
- Display: 4.7in LCD Retina HD display with a 1334 x 750-pixel resolution at 326ppi
- Dimensions: 138.4mm x 67.3mm x 7.3mm
- Weight: 148 grams
- Storage: 64 or 128GB
- Processors: A11 Bionic chip with Neural Engine
- Front camera: 7MP FaceTime HD camera with 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps
- Rear camera: Single 12MP Wide camera; 4K video
- Battery: Up to 13 hours (video playback)
- Other: Touch ID, NFC, wireless charging, IP67 waterproof (1m)
Apple expert and novelist, Michael Grothaus has been covering tech on KnowYourMobile for the best part of 10 years. Prior to this, he worked at Apple. And before that, he was a film journalist. Michael is a published author; his book Epiphany Jones was voted as one of the best novels about Hollywood by Entertainment Weekly. Michael is also a writer at other publications including VICE and Fast Company.