The iPhone 13 DOES NOT Come With AirPods – Here’s Why…
The iPhone 13 is packed with features, but are AirPods one of them?
- No AirPods with iPhone 13: None of the iPhone 13 models, including the iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max, and iPhone 13 mini, come with AirPods.
- No Earbuds at All: Apple no longer includes any earbuds, wired or wireless, with the iPhone 13 series.
- Purchase Separately: If you want AirPods with your iPhone 13, they must be bought separately.
- Historical Context: Initially, iPhones came with wired EarPods and a charging brick. However, with the rise of AirPods in 2016, Apple shifted its focus towards wireless audio solutions.
- Environmental Decision: Starting with the iPhone 12 series in 2020, Apple stopped including the charging brick and EarPods in the box, citing environmental reasons and a reduced carbon footprint.
- Business Strategy: Excluding AirPods from the iPhone package preserves their premium status and ensures profitability for Apple, given their success as a standalone product.
The iPhone 13, Apple’s flagship device for 2021, was a solid update across the board, packing in massively improved battery life, significant bumps in the camera module department, and faster 5G. As updates go, the iPhone 13 series was a killer.
With its sleek design, improved camera system, and the A15 Bionic chip, it’s no wonder that tech enthusiasts and loyal Apple users alike were eager to get their hands on it. But for whatever reason, whenever a new iPhone launches, people start asking whether it comes with free AirPods?
Let’s set the record straight on this once and for all…
Does The iPhone 13 Come With AirPods?
The iPhone 13 does not come with AirPods. Nor does the iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max, or iPhone 13 mini. No iPhone 13 model comes with AirPods.
As a matter of fact, no iPhone 13 model comes with earbuds of ANY kind. Apple stopped included wired earbuds with the iPhone years ago. And as for AirPods – if you want them with your iPhone 13 you’ll need to buy them separately.
Check out our complete guide to Apple’s AirPods – it covers literally everything you need to know before pulling the trigger on a pair.
The History of iPhone Accessories
To understand the context behind this decision, it’s essential to look back at the history of what Apple has included with its iPhones. In the early days of the iPhone, Apple provided a set of wired EarPods and a charging brick. These EarPods became synonymous with iPhone users and were easily recognizable with their unique design.
However, as Apple moved towards a wireless future, they introduced AirPods in 2016. These wireless earbuds quickly became a cultural phenomenon, known for their convenience, sound quality, and unique aesthetic. With the introduction of AirPods, rumors began circulating about Apple possibly including them with future iPhones. But this has never been the case.
Apple’s Environmental Push
In 2020, with the launch of the iPhone 12 series, Apple made a significant decision that set the stage for future iPhones. They announced that they would no longer include the charging brick and EarPods in the iPhone box. Their reasoning was environmental; by reducing the size of the iPhone packaging and eliminating these accessories, Apple could reduce its carbon footprint. The company argued that many users already had these accessories from previous devices, making it unnecessary to include them with every new phone.
Given this push towards environmental responsibility and the fact that AirPods are a premium product, it’s understandable why Apple chose not to bundle them with the iPhone 13.
The Business Perspective
From a business standpoint, not including AirPods with the iPhone 13 makes sense. AirPods have their own market and have been incredibly successful as a standalone product. Bundling them with the iPhone 13 would not only reduce their perceived value but also impact Apple’s profit margins.
Apple’s Current AirPods Lineup
Apple’s AirPods have become synonymous with wireless audio excellence since their debut in 2017. As we approach the latter half of 2023, Apple boasts a diverse range of AirPods, each catering to different user preferences and needs.
Current AirPods Offerings:
- AirPods (2nd generation): The continuation of the original design that started the wireless revolution.
- AirPods (3rd generation): These come in two variants:
- With a Lightning Charging Case
- With a MagSafe Charging Case for enhanced charging capabilities.
- AirPods Pro (2nd generation): Launched in 2022, these are the pinnacle of Apple’s in-ear wireless audio, offering features like active noise cancellation and adaptive transparency.
- AirPods Max: Venturing into the over-ear headphones category, the AirPods Max offers premium sound quality combined with active noise cancellation and a transparency mode.
What’s on the Horizon?
While Apple remains tight-lipped about their future plans, the rumor mill is buzzing with anticipation. Speculations hint at the potential introduction of a more affordable variant, possibly named “AirPods Lite” or “AirPods SE”. Until Apple makes an official announcement, these remain as speculations.
What’s In The Box With The iPhone 13?
All models of the iPhone 13 have the exact same items in the box when you buy one:
- iPhone with iOS 15
- USB‑C to Lightning Cable
Yep, you don’t get a case, headphones, or even a charging brick. Apple rationalizes this last omission by saying most customers already have plenty of spare charging bricks and by not including another one they are helping cut back on e-waste.
iPhone 13 Resource Hub 📚
Here’s some of our most helpful content related to the iPhone 13. If you’re looking to buy one, the in-depth guides and reviews below should help: