Using the RSS reader on the Samsung U800
Get latest news and updated information from your favourite websites and blogs using the Samsung U800's RSS reader app
You can get regular updates from your favourite websites or blogs whenever you want them, using the RSS reader application on the Samsung U800. This allows you to see when new content has been added; you can browse the latest headlines without having to visit the website or blog, and then click on a headline to be taken straight to the full article online.
It's simple to set up and use. First, you need to get the URL of the RSS feed from the websites or blogs to which you want to subscribe. This should be straightforward to do - you can use your desktop PC to find this.
On most webpages that support RSS feeds, you will see a small orange RSS button icon (Figure 1), usually next to a feed option. Alternatively, you may see a standard web link for an RSS feed without an RSS icon.
When you click on the RSS button or link, you will automatically be taken to an RSS feed page. Make a note the URL - you will need to type this into the phone's RSS Reader.
Subscribing to RSS feeds:
- From the standby screen press Menu (Figure 2).
- In the main menu page, scroll to highlight Applications. Press Select (Figure 3).
- Scroll down to highlight RSS reader. Press Select (Figure 4).
- To start with, this will be blank (Figure 5). To add a new RSS feed, press Options.
- Highlight Add new and press Select (Figure 6).
- A panel appears into which you must type the URL for the RSS feed you want - it begins http:// (Figure 7). To bring up any additional symbols you might need to enter as part of the URL, press and hold the # button on the bottom right of the numberpad.
- When you've completed the address, press OK (Figure 8). The phone will search for and retrieve details of the RSS feed which will be displayed onscreen. To subscribe to the RSS feed, press Subscribe (Figure 9).
- A message appears confirming that the channel has been added. This will now appear in your list of RSS feeds (Figure 10).
Repeat the process above to subscribe to additional RSS feeds.
Using RSS feeds:
- In the RSS reader application, highlight the RSS feed you want to check up on (Figure 11). The number of new unread updates is included in the details about the feed.
- Use the navigation pad to scroll through the list of RSS feed headlines (Figure 12).
- Alternatively, to get new updates, from the RSS reader opening screen, press Options. Highlight Update and press Select (Figure 13). Choose either Selected or All to get updates for your RSS feeds.
- Scrolling down to view the list of headlines in your RSS feed, press the central navigation D-pad to open up the headline updates (Figure 14). If you want to get more details of that story, press Connect.
- You will launch the phone's browser and be taken to the relevant story on the website, news feed or blog (Figure 15).
- To go back to the RSS reader and exit the browser, press Back, then OK.
- Once you're back in the RSS reader, you can press Back to return to the list of headlines.
When in the list of headlines from your RSS feed, pressing Options gives you other options: to View the headline, to Delete either one or more of the list. Alternatively, you can connect straight to the story on the website or blog by pressing Connect to URL.
Getting auto updates:
Within the RSS reader, you can adjust settings - including the frequency of auto updates for the RSS Reader.
- Press Options, then highlight Setting. Press Select (Figure 16).
- Highlight Preferences. Press Select (Figure 17).
- Press the central navigation pad to tick the Auto update box. Scroll down, then left or right to set the frequency of automatic RSS feed updates - when switching Application on, Daily or Weekly (Figure 18). Press Save to store changes.