Trick Zune to give you Windows Phone Mango early
Thanks to a clever trick you can dupe Zune into giving up the official Windows Phone Mango update before its ready
Although the Windows Phone Mango update is being rolled out as we speak, it’s a slow process and at the moment not everyone can access it.
However, clever and tricksy internet people have, in typical style, figured out a way to effectively hold Zune at gunpoint and force it to cough up the goods.
The trick involves updating through three versions, from 7392, to 7403, and then the Mango update itself, version 7720.
Because the trick involves fooling the official Zune software into giving the update early you can be sure its the genuine article.
If you already have 7392 you’re good to go and apparently it helps if you remove any unnecessary apps, music or other files which might slow the process down.
- Connect your Windows Phone to a PC and launch Zune
- Click on Phone\Settings\Update and let it check for an update. If you can get Mango right away then you’re in luck and can skip the whole process. Otherwise, read on.
- First click any button other than ‘Update’ in Zune and then click the Update button again, but when you do disconnect from the internet after about one second by pulling out the Ethernet cable, disabling Wi-Fi, etc. If it says your phone is already up to date try again but disconnect a bit quicker this time.
- Wait around 30 seconds - Zune should display a notification that an update is available. This should be version 7392.
- Reconnect to the internet and continue with the update process via Zune.
- After 7392 is finished installing you may be notified of the next update, 7403. If so, install it now. Otherwise, repeat steps 3-5 to cause the 7403 update to appear. When it does, install it.
- Here’s where Mango kicks in. Zune should automatically start installing the 7720 Mango update – but if it doesn't just force it through the disconnect trick as previously explained - repeat steps 3-5.
It might be a bit repetetive, but by the end of this process you should have the shiny new Mango system installed on your Windows Phone and can begin enjoying all the added features.