How To Reset Factory Reset Your Nexus 4 Or Nexus 5
We explain how to hard or factory reset your Nexus 4 or Nexus 5 if something goes wrong
The Nexus 5 is a right bargain of a handset. The price just keeps on dropping even though it offers some really high specs on board.
Sometimes you need to factory reset your phone though. Something may have gone wrong or you may just want to give the phone to someone else you know, whatever reason, we’ve made a guide on how to do it.
It’s the same process for both the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 so if you have either of these handsets and want to reset them, follow the steps below.
Be warned though, if you follow these steps you’ll wipe everything from your phone. Whether it be photos, files or old messages they’ll all be gone. If there’s anything on your phone you want to save we recommend connecting it up to your computer or saving it to the cloud before you go any further.
- If the device is on, switch it off
- Once the device is off, simultaneously press and hold the POWER key and the VOLUME DOWN key
- You'll feel the phone vibrate - when it does, repeatedly press the BACK key and the HOME key together
- A green Android will now appear on the screen (if it doesn't, switch it off again and repeat the steps above until you get the green Android)
- Your device should now launch into a reset
- The reset will take a couple of minutes and then your device will reboot
- Once the phone switches on again, it should be box-fresh and ask you to set it up again, entering your Google account details etc.
There you go, you’re all done! Now you can start from scratch and build your new Nexus device from the ground up.