How to install Google Maps on the LG KU990 Viewty
How to set up and install Google Maps on the LG KU990 Viewty - and to overcome the annoying 'No network available' issues
The LG KU990 Viewty's (or Nyx in the US) touch screen and 3-inch high resolution make it an ideal platform for Google Maps - the world's leading mobile mapping and routefinding application.
Many Viewty owners will be lucky enough to have a working version bundled with their handset - all they need to do is go to their applications folder and launch Google Maps.
However if your LG KU990 Viewty does not have Google Maps pre-installed you may encounter various problems in trying to set the application up or launch it - for instance a message saying 'No network available'.
If you follow these simple instructions you should be able to get the latest, touchscreen compatible version - Google Maps 2.0.2 - to work on your Viewty.
Download the Google Maps application
Part 1 - Adjust the Applications & Games Settings
- Unlock the Viewty and click on the shortcut icon with four dots at the bottom left of the screen
- Click on the Multimedia icon - it looks like a film clapperboard - in the vertical tab bar on the right of the screen
- Click on Games & Apps
- In the Games & Apps menu click on Settings
- In the Settings menu you should see a link on mobile operators' Internet settings. Select your service provider and click on Activate. If your mobile operator isn't listed click on the button at the bottom left of the screen - a rectangle with three horizontal lines - and click Add new
- In the form, fill in the various fields. Check with your mobile operator if they require a proxy - if it doesn't select TCP without proxy as your connection mode. You will then only need to fill in the Service name and choose the correct Access point
Part 2 - Download Google Maps
- Unlock the Viewty go to the main menu and launch the Browser
- Enter the following web address for Google Maps - www.google.co.uk/gmm
- You will be taken to a page headed with the link 'Download Google Maps (version 2.0.2) on your LG Nyx'. (LG Nyx is what the US calls the Viewty - probably because they realised what a silly name it was). Click on the link to download it. You may see an alert saying that the application is 'untrusted'. Click on Yes to continue the download
- Select Launch and click on the OK button to launch Google Maps. When prompted to access handset files or the Internet select Allow until exit and click on OK
- Congratulations! Google Maps should now be running on your LG KU990 Viewty