How to set-up and install your own ringtones on the HTC Desire HD
We show you how to set-up and install your own ringtones on the HTC Desire HD
Sometimes, having your own personal ringtone on your device really adds this finishing touch – really making the device yours.
Fortunately, getting your own personal ringtone set-up on the HTC Desire HD is simple as –
In this guide, we show you exactly how it's done.
First, you'll need to find some ringtones you like. To make things as simple as possible, ensure your ringtones are DRM-free MP3 files. Also, they should typically be 30-seconds or less in length.
A good source for free ringtones is mobile9.com and high quality normal, ringing ringtones can be purchased from RCP Tones. You can also make your own ringtones using music you already own thanks to free audio editing software such as Audacity.
Once you have some great ringtones on your computer, you're ready to go:
- Ensure your microSD card is in your HTC Desire HD, then connect it to your computer using the supplied USB cable
- If your HTC Desire HD does not mount automatically, touch the USB icon that appears in the menu bar at the top of the display, drag it down to expose the Android Notification Pane, then tap on USB Connected and select Mount (or Disk Drive)
- Using a file explorer on your computer, navigate to the root folder (the main directory) of the memory card in your HTC Desire HD
- Create a new folder called ringtones (some devices require a lowercase "r" so please name the new folder exactly as specified)
- Now, simply copy all of the MP3 ringtones you want on your HTC Desire HD into the new ringtones folder
That's it! You can now unmount your HTC Desire HD and your ringtones will become available as options when changing your ringtone.
- To set one of your new MP3s as your ringtone:
- From the home screen, tap Menu then Settings
- Tap Sound, then Phone ringtone
- Scroll to the ringtone you want, select it and then tap OK