Using FaceTime on the new iPad 3
We show you how to set up and make full use of FaceTime on the new iPad
Utilising both the front and rear facing cameras on the new iPad, it’s easy to make video calls to family and friends using Apple’s FaceTime app.
At present the FaceTime feature will only let you make video calls over a wifi connection, although Apple are working with mobile networks to activate FaceTime over 3G.
Set up FaceTime
- Tap on the FaceTime app from the home screen.
- Once the app has opened, you will need to sign in with an Apple ID. This will be the Apple ID/email address that people will be able to use to call you on. If you do not have an Apple ID simply tap Create Account.
You can also set up, switch accounts and deactivate FaceTime through the Settings app. Go to Settings > FaceTime.
Make a new FaceTime call
The easiest way to make a dedicated FaceTime call is through the FaceTime app.
- Select the FaceTime app from the home screen.
- Navigate to your contacts and then select a contact. If a contact has activated FaceTime on their iOS device, a small FaceTime icon will be next to their email address or mobile number. Tap this and your new iPad will start calling your contact.
- Your contact will need to accept the call, once they have done your video call will start. During the call you can switch which camera you wish to use.
- Once the call has finished simply tap End.
You can also make a video call from your Contacts app by selecting a contact’s FaceTime Apple ID.